cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choppy Audio : 'Record By Computer' Feature for Phone Voicemail Greeting

MRod
Listener

When I playback the recording for my zoom phone's voicemail greeting using the 'record by computer' feature, the audio is choppy. I do have the latest version of Zoom and strong Wifi.

Any suggestions for how to fix this?

I would attach the greeting recording for review but  .WAV file not supported here.

Happy to email it to support if needed.

5 REPLIES 5

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hey, @MRod,

I’m a volunteer here in the Zoom Community. I’ve sent you a Private Message with some info. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Thank you, Ray!

I have uploaded the file to your dropbox link.

Thank you kindly,

Marisha

Ray_Harwood

Marisha/@MRod:

Thanks. Listening to it, it sounds a bit like it was recorded over Wifi or cellular with spotty reception or bandwidth constrained. I’ll look at it tomorrow morning in Adobe Audition and see if the waveform indicates anything else.

Did you try multiple times with the same/similar result?  Try recording via a wired connection, or at a time when bandwidth usage is low. 

Might also help for you to describe the “audio chain”, as it’s sometimes referred to:

•  Microphone – as much as you can tell me about it. AirPods? Laptop built in? USB mic like Yeti?
  •  What the mic is plugged into, hardware-wise. If a computer: Windows, Mac, etc. If some sort of mic pre-amp, make and model.
  •  Continue describing hardware connections until you get to the computer… then:
  •  What software are you going through? Is the Mic signal going directly into some voice recording software, or are you using the Zoom client app on your computer?

Anything along those lines that you can document might help… if going through a wired connection doesn’t fix it. 

And I’ll check more in the morning. 

Ray_Harwood

Hey, Marisha/ @MRod --

Sorry for the delay...yesterday got busy!  I did look at your audio file and listen a little more closely.  It still sounds like WiFi or Bluetooth dropout, but I also noticed that the recording was done at 16Khz, where Zoom normally works with 24Khz mono and 48Khz stereo. 

The fact that it's a WAV file probably means you're on a PC (as opposed to Mac), so you could look in the built-in Sound Properties app (if you can't find it, hit the Windows button and just type "sound properties"... it should show up).  Click on the Recording tab and locate the mic you're using and see if there's a way to coerce it into 24Khz mode.  I'm not sure that's the source of the problem, but it's a thought.

Ray_Harwood_0-1658326025438.png

Let me know if any of this helps... I'm not real sure what else to do!

MRod
Listener

Hello @Ray_Harwood ,

Thanks for your message and no problem at all. Thank you for the mic tips!

I am using a MacBook Pro but applied the logic to adjust the built-in Sound Properties there. 

I'm using Logitech USB Headset.

I finally got one successful recording after many attempts. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to why because I got a good recording even before tinkering with mic settings. 

Thank you very much for your time and attention!