cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling a user's extension to go straight to their voicemail

New2ZoomPhones
Listener

How do I dial a user's extension so that my call goes directly to their voicemail; I do not want their phone to ring at all. 

This will be used for after-hours IT notifications and do not want to disturb the end users.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

enielsen
Participant

As far as I know, no way to make a "custom feature code" to do something like make a call go directly to voicemail. For that matter cannot make a custom feature code for anything near as I can tell....

As for the customization that is allowed, at least for me, can only change the codes used for "AdHoc Call Recording" and "Call Park"

View solution in original post

This seems to be the case; no one can tell me how to create a feature that Cisco devices have had for YEARS!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Shaimaa
Participant | Zoom Employee

Hi New2ZoomPhone.

You can change the routing of the calls during your setup for business hours.

Admins and phone users can customize call handling settings to determine how calls are routed during the business, closed, or holiday hours. For example, you can customize settings so that you receive calls on the Zoom desktop client and mobile app during business hours, but during closed hours, all calls go straight to your voicemail.

How to access call handling settings

Admin

Note: Admins can also customize default call handling settings for the account or site.

1. Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
  2. In the navigation menu, click Phone System Management, then Users & Rooms.
  3. Click the name of the phone user you want to adjust settings for.
  4. Click the User Settings tab.
  5. Click Edit next to Call Handling in the Business Hours or Closed Hours section. 
    Note: To edit call handling settings for Holiday Hours, click Manage next to Holiday List & Call Handling, select a holiday, then click Edit next to Call Handling.

Phone user

1. Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
  2. In the navigation menu, click Phone.
  3. Click the Settings tab.
  4. Click Edit next to Call Handling in the Business Hours or Closed Hours section. 
    Note: To edit call handling settings for Holiday Hours, click Manage next to Holiday List & Call Handling, select a holiday, then click Edit next to Call Handling.

How to customize call handling settings

You can customize how calls are routed during the business, closed, and holiday hours.

Note: The lock icon (🔒) means a Zoom Phone admin can restrict access to the setting or its options. If you don't see one of these settings, contact your admin for access.

• Call Handling: Click Edit to customize how calls are routed during the specified hours.
    Note
    • Zoom Applications toggle: Turn off the Zoom Applications toggle if you don't want to receive calls on the Zoom desktop client and mobile app.
    • If you set the Call Handling Ring Mode to Simultaneously, use the toggles to enable or disable each option.
    • If you set the Call Handling Ring Mode to Sequentially, use the arrow icons or click and drag to rearrange the order.
    • 🔒Click Add Phone Number to forward to an external phone number; for example, a personal phone number not part of Zoom Phone. You can also edit or delete existing external phone numbers.
      Note: Make sure to select the correct country/region in the drop-down menu to add the external phone number. Some countries share the same country code but appear as separate entries in the drop-down menu.
    • Require to press one before connecting the call: Click the check box if you want to require callers to press one before connecting to external phone numbers you've added above. 
  • Call Handling Ring Mode: Select the method to distribute calls during the business, closed, and holiday hours. You can only have one call handling ring mode for all hours specified.
    Note: Zoom applications refer to the Zoom desktop client and mobile app.
    • Select Simultaneously to ring the Zoom app and specified devices simultaneously. After selecting this option, edit the Call Handling setting to specify the routes.
    • Select Sequentially to ring the Zoom app and devices one at a time.
      After selecting this option, edit the Call Handling setting to specify the sequence.
  • Max Wait Time: The maximum wait time before the call is handled as specified in the setting below (When a call is not answered).
  • Select how unanswered calls are handled during business or closed hours when a call is not answered.
    • Forward to voicemail🔒: Route calls to your voicemail.
      • Allow callers to reach an operator🔒: Allow callers to press 0 to get the operator or press 1 to leave a voicemail message. After enabling this option, you can customize the audio.
        Note: This setting is also available in the default call handling settings for the account or site for admins.
        • IVR Menu: Displays the IVR menu for callers, which shows the keys that customers can press to reach the operator or leave a voicemail. This IVR menu can't be customized.
        • Connect to Operator: Set the operator to any phone user, call queue, auto-receptionist, or shared line group. 
      • Allow the caller to check voicemail🔒: Allow callers to check voicemails over the phone.
      • Greeting: Select a greeting from the drop-down menu or click Audio Library to customize audio. See the article about audio greetings for more information.
    • Play a message, then disconnect🔒: Plays a custom message for the caller, then hangs up the call. Click Audio Library to customize audio.
    • Disconnect: Disables voicemail during the specified hours. Without playing the voicemail greeting or routing to voicemail, the call will be disconnected.
    • Forward to another extension🔒: Route calls to another extension in the account.
    • Forward to External Contacts🔒: If the account has a directory of external users, you can route calls to an external contact.

Please like any post that helped you; please mark solutions so others can find them!

Thanks, but this is NOT what I'm looking for; I do not want to adjust ANY programming.

What I want to do is something like pressing #8 before calling an extension (from my softphone) and go directly to that person's voicemail.

Shaimaa

Hi New2ZoomPhones 

It would be nice if you could use DTMF.

You can dial DTMF codes to quickly access certain Zoom Phone features like checking your voicemail or hiding your caller ID. If you're an admin, you can also customize specific code

I hope that what you are tying to reach if yes you could see this article https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360057122592 

Please like any post that helped you; please mark solutions so others can find them!

EDIT: I don't think there's a DTMF code to do what I'm looking to do.

enielsen
Participant

As far as I know, no way to make a "custom feature code" to do something like make a call go directly to voicemail. For that matter cannot make a custom feature code for anything near as I can tell....

As for the customization that is allowed, at least for me, can only change the codes used for "AdHoc Call Recording" and "Call Park"

This seems to be the case; no one can tell me how to create a feature that Cisco devices have had for YEARS!

FORE-Craig
Community Champion | Customer

Hi,

If the end users' Business Hours are set appropriately, and their Closed Hours - Call Handling is set to go to Voicemail, this shouldn't be an issue - calling the extension after hours would go straight to voicemail.

Another option would be to use Zoom Chat to leave the end user a Voice Message.

Hope this helps!

Craig

We don't have "business hours" to configure and I don't want to leave a zoom voice chat; I want to press (something like) *88 and then enter in the extension and go DIRECTLY to the user's voicemail.

FORE-Craig

I understand your frustration; I was just giving you a workaround.

You can submit a feature request at:

https://zoom.us/feed/

Craig

I get that and thanks.

PBN
Listener

Has anyone found a way to do this for a single caller without making adjustments to settings? 

I prepare user accounts and test prior to approving. Some times my testing calls are answered which turns into a few minute call, instead of a quick set up.  It would be a better test for me if I could call directly into voicemail. In other apps I worked with, I would dial star (*) and then the 4 digit extension. 

Thank you