cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call history: contacts' names?

Röbi
Listener

Hello everybody,

We recently switched to Zoom Phone in our company. All in all it works great but one issue I noticed is that company-wide contacts only seem to be recognized by the app (i.e., the name only shows up) the moment a call goes out or comes in. As soon as a call enters the history, only its number is displayed and the name is lost. This is a pity especially for our reception desk who have a lot of missed calls and would like to know who they are going to call back.

Since the names are correctly displayed when the call comes in, this seems more like a bug than a feature request to me. Or am I doing something wrong? Does anybody else have similar experiences?

I'm attaching a screenshot which shows how one contact shows with the name when I dial it (an incoming call would look the same) but only appears as a number in the history on the left (second from top). Note that company-internal contacts are always displayed with the name, hence the one exception (third from top).

Cheers,
Robert

3 REPLIES 3

FORE-Craig
Community Champion | Customer

Hi Robert,

From what I can tell with our system, the names which appear in the history for external calls are from the other party's telephone system caller ID or the user name for internal extensions. The names of the external contacts that are established in the Phone System Management > Company Info > Account Settings are only used for calling out.

I hope this helps!

Craig

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thank you for the suggestion. I also think it's the external caller IDs that are used for the history. What I don't understand is why the app does that - after all, incoming calls are correctly linked to our address directory, so the moment a call comes in I see the full name of the caller (perfect!) but as soon as it moves into the history it disappears (I guess because most callers don't fill in their caller ID). Do you happen to know if there is a way to change this aspect in the settings? Or is it more like a feature request to the app developers?

Robert

FORE-Craig

Hi Robert,

I have not seen an option in any of the Zoom Portal settings to control this. in our case, it does seem that when an external call comes in with Caller ID information from the other system is retained in our history We are in the US though, so it may be a country-specific issue. It would however be nice to have the system retain the name information from the external contacts list if one was detected. 

Perhaps someone else outside the US and Canada could tell us how it appears for them! In any case, I would suggest that you submit a feature request.

I hope this helps!

Craig

Craig