cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow speed dial to extension on Delegated line

JROD_22
Listener

The way delegated line keys work now on a Poly VVX deskphone is by default when the line key is pressed it initiates the ability to dial out on that line.

I need it to dial that line so a normal call goes through to the lines owner on the other end, but still want to keep the ability to pick up calls that the owner of the line puts on hold.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

10 REPLIES 10

enielsen
Participant

To clarify - do you mean that you want pressing a line key to ring the "line owner", or perhaps act as an intercom?

JROD_22
Listener

That is correct, I understand there is an intercom feature, but unfortunately the phones I need this for are too old for the required firmware to enable that.

To clarify what I need is as follows

- One line key 
- Recieve calls DIRECTLY with no ringing, just the on screen notification
- When this line key is pressed, it dials the line owner
- When owner puts a call on hold, other user can press this line key to pick it up
- When user is on a call, they can press this line key to transfer the call

I have looked at various combinations of features but I cannot find one that ticks all these boxes, tried Custom line keys as well

sachinzoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @JROD_22 

Thanks for detailing the requirements. What you need is to create a shared line group and add the members to it.

Now your other requirement is also Silent ring, for which you will need to associate the line with a Provisioning template as of today. 

Here are the steps:

1. Login to the Web UI of the phone

2. Follow these steps to silent the Shared line only

3. Download the template and apply the particular command as a provisioning template.

Reference here: https://docs.poly.com/en-US/bundle/obi-ug-640/page/t-vvxobi-ug-silence-the-phone-ringer.html

4. If successful, create a Provisioning template in Zoom under Company info -> settings -> Provisioning templates

I have not tried silencing just a single line and upon reading, seems like Poly says its not possible ( silences all calls not just the shared line but its worth a try). Let me know how that goes. I will also try it 

Hope that helps 

I don't think a shared line group does the part where they want pressing the Line Key to ring on the "line owner's" phone like an intercom would.

While the VVX series is older, I think they might still support an intercom feature, but would probably have to be configured in a phone template as Zoom does not support it.

sachinzoom

@enielsen You are right. I missed the requirement of dialing out to the owner.

@JROD_22 Intercom is probably the closest to matching the use case. Please explore  

FORE-Craig
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @JROD_22 

I'm going to chime here, since everyone else seems to have. Haha.

I don't have a Poly VVX, but I do have some older Yealink phones. With the Shared Line Appearance functionality activated, the owner's line appears automatically as a dynamic line key on the desk phones of the those who share the line. For the older Yealink phones, the color of the text and mini icon change based on the line's status.

The people who share the line with the owner can tap said key to:

1. Answer the call on behalf of the owner;
  2. Place a call on behalf of the owner;
  3. Place a call On Hold on that line;
  4. Retrieve an On Hold call on that line;
  5. Transfer a call on that line to another number.

Due to these capabilities, it's not necessary to transfer a call on a shared line back to its owner, because it is already showing on their desk phone, Zoom desktop or mobile app. 

I know that it is not the 1-key functionality that you were hoping; however with the addition of setting a secondary Line Key on the Users who share the owners line (Phone System Management > User & Rooms > Users > (User Name) > User Settings -- Keys & Positions) should give you the functionality you want. The secondary Line Key can be set up as either a type BLF (Used to Call the owner), or as a type Intercom (Zoom Phone Audio Intercom which is an auto-answered call).  In either case, the person who answered that call can announce to the line owner the identity of the person on hold.

I hope that helps!

Craig

JROD_22
Listener

Thank you all!

It seems this is the route I will have to go, which is a bummer because the latest firmware my model of VVX phones support on Zoom is behind the version required for Intercom capabilities, and I have confirmation Zoom has no plan to update them.

Another quick question if its ok - is there a way to enable directed call pick up on a BLF line key on Zoom phone?

My thought process is, I can maybe assign the delegated line to the phone on a line key where it wont show up physically on the users phone so the calls still come through (Line key 20 or something) then set up directed call pickup on the BLF key so the user can still pick up and transfer using one line key.

Just a thought - did some investigating on this and it seems like it is dependent on the SIP server.

FORE-Craig

Hi @JROD_22 

Presently, you cannot manually assign a Line Key as a Call Pickup. However, there is a feature in Zoom Phone called Group Call Pickup that will automatically display a Line Key for picking up call for members of the group. You can read about it here:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360060107472-Setting-up-and-using-group-call-pickup#h_01F4...

I don't follow your logic though on how it would reduce the need to a second Line Key.

I hope that helps!

Craig

Hello! Sorry for the late response @FORE-Craig 

If im not mistaken Group call pickup will not allow:

1. Pickup of held calls on a users line

2. Dialing out to other user by pressing the line key

Both of which I need unfortunately

FORE-Craig

Hi @JROD_22 

You are correct. The only way to do that with one Soft Key is with Shared Line Appearance/Group (aka Delegation).

I hope that helps!

Craig