cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

least expensive way to enable transcription

fabnyny
Listener

I am a journalist who recently became disabled. I am no longer able to type notes when conducting interviews because typing is now difficult for me. So I really need Zoom to transcribe recordings of interviews that I conduct on Zoom. But I can't seem to find a way to enable transcription without paying thousands of dollars per year. Does anyone know if there's an affordable way for one person, who works alone, to enable transcription services. Thank you.

Fred

3 REPLIES 3

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @fabnyny.

What you're looking for in Zoom is referred to as Captions, which is available at no extra charge on all Zoom accounts.  Here's the Zoom Support article that describes how to enable it for meetings you schedule:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/8158289360141-Enabling-automated-captions 

Unfortunately, if you attend meetings scheduled by others, they might not have the Automated Captions turned on.  I'd recommend reaching out in advance to hosts of other meetings and ask if they have the Automated Captions enabled -- you could point them to this post in case they need help. 👍

I have this set for all my meeting and webinars, and many people find it helpful.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

fabnyny
Listener

Hi. Captions appear live on the screen during a meeting. I'm talking about a transcript of the recording -- the whole thing in one document. It's available for education, enterprise and business accounts, but the cheapest one of those is something like $2,000 a year. I was asking if there is any more affordable way to do it.

Hi Fabnyny

I have just joined and seen your post with no further help. Just in case you are still having a problem, there is Otter.ai, which I have been using. Not great but one gets the gist of what is said and one can self-correct. It also gives a very handy summary. I unfortunately cannot allow them to see the problems I do have with the scribing, due to the sensitive nature of my meetings, so they cannot improve mine, but I am sure they would help improve yours if unsattisfactory.