cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a meeting host preside over two rooms such as the voting room and the non- voting room?

afotoole43
Listener

I was at a Zoom meeting this weekend where polling was done to about half the members.  I was not in charge in anyway with the running of the meeting but I am familiar with Zoom.

The non voting members had to be manually moved to another room and then the remaining members were poled and then they voted.  Then the non-voters had to be returned to the meeting.  This was very time consuming.  Could a group be created with in a room called "Voters" and then have the polling sent to the "Voters" group only? 

Another way might be to join two rooms, "voters" and "non-voters" and allow the meeting host to send to one of the groups a pole.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Andrew,

I don't think a meeting will do the magic you're hoping for... but a Webinar would.  You could put the non-voting participants in the Attendees, and the voting participants on the Panel.  Of course, that's an extra expense, and not sure whether you need to do this monthly, or less often (or more often).

A better option would be to find a voting app.  Some of the online voting services let you vote free for up to a certain number of voters.  If I recall correctly, ElectionRunner (which I've used in several venues) is free for up to 20 voters.

I'm also associated with the National Association of Parliamentarians, and think you might want to discuss your voting needs with a parliamentarian in your area.  Your organization might be over-thinking the voting requirements in some cases, and could be simplified (especially if you have a small board, like an HOA - which I also have experience with!).

Also... the pre-loading of Zoom users being sent to Breakout Rooms is dependent on their Zoom login email address - not their Profile Name while in the room.  Yeah... it isn't easy, no matter how you slice it.

One more option: Use the Reaction feature, and assuming the voters are voting for or against something, have them use the Yes/No Reactions.  If this interests you, let me know and I'll elaborate.

Good luck!!

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ray_Harwood

It is possible to create a breakout room on the web site, and include the Zoom user names of attendees that will be put into the room when it’s opened. I’d prefer to put the names of the voting members in there, and have a breakout room where voters answer the poll. But it can work the other way around, if you know in advance who the non-voting attendees will be. 

Thanks Ray for your suggestion.  It would be easy to create user names for voting members.  Voters would have a "1" preceding there name such as "1meeting user".  Non-voting would start off with a "2" or any other character.  The poll must go to everyone whose name starts with a "1" ONLY.  Other users in the room wouldn't receive the poll.  We really want to avoid users being transferred to another room and then going back to the original room as it is time consuming.

Ideally if a meeting could be setup with two rooms have voters in one room , and the meeting host have the ability to communicate with both rooms simultaneously.   Then a co-host could have the ability to access the "voter" room to send the poll.  It would be awesome if an "If then" type statement could be used such as "If user name begins with '1' then send poll".  If such capabilities existed in Zoom then this could be done on the fly without moving people around.  Maybe it can't but I remain optimistic on it.  When a business meeting is going through an agenda with many questions on it moving people in and out of rooms is what we are doing now and it is very time consuming.   Thanks again,

Andrew

Ray_Harwood

Andrew,

I don't think a meeting will do the magic you're hoping for... but a Webinar would.  You could put the non-voting participants in the Attendees, and the voting participants on the Panel.  Of course, that's an extra expense, and not sure whether you need to do this monthly, or less often (or more often).

A better option would be to find a voting app.  Some of the online voting services let you vote free for up to a certain number of voters.  If I recall correctly, ElectionRunner (which I've used in several venues) is free for up to 20 voters.

I'm also associated with the National Association of Parliamentarians, and think you might want to discuss your voting needs with a parliamentarian in your area.  Your organization might be over-thinking the voting requirements in some cases, and could be simplified (especially if you have a small board, like an HOA - which I also have experience with!).

Also... the pre-loading of Zoom users being sent to Breakout Rooms is dependent on their Zoom login email address - not their Profile Name while in the room.  Yeah... it isn't easy, no matter how you slice it.

One more option: Use the Reaction feature, and assuming the voters are voting for or against something, have them use the Yes/No Reactions.  If this interests you, let me know and I'll elaborate.

Good luck!!