cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Host

EV-2
Listener

Hello. I was assigned as an alternative host for a weekly scheduled zoom meeting.  I was just added on the account. Do I use the same log in as the host or my own email? Also, do I need to use a desktop or laptop or can I use my iphone or ipad? Please help. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @EV-2.

The Alt Host designation allows YOU to start the meeting from YOUR account.  It's one of the security feature "privileges" that helps avoid people having to share each others' login info.

This Zoom Support article discusses setting up an Alt Host, including the prerequisites:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208220166-Designating-an-alternative-host

But it also has this important tidbit of info:

• The alternative host can start the meeting using the join link in the email or calendar invite sent to them by the host. The meeting will not display in the upcoming meetings list in the desktop client, mobile app, or web page for alternative hosts.

So the meeting doesn't show up in your Zoom desktop client - or really anywhere else, for that matter, other than in the Join link which the Host should send you.

And you can start the meeting from any device where you could normally start a meeting... which is pretty much anywhere!

If you are being designated the Alt Host for a specific person a lot, you and your frequent host-mate should consider the Scheduling Privilege as an even easier way for the two of you to co-schedule meetings.  To me the great advantage of this is that the meetings show up in both people's Zoom clients.  See this Zoom Support article for more info:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362803 

Some of the Zoom articles can be a little technical. Don't be afraid to pop back here in the Zoom Community with any questions!

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @EV-2.

The Alt Host designation allows YOU to start the meeting from YOUR account.  It's one of the security feature "privileges" that helps avoid people having to share each others' login info.

This Zoom Support article discusses setting up an Alt Host, including the prerequisites:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208220166-Designating-an-alternative-host

But it also has this important tidbit of info:

• The alternative host can start the meeting using the join link in the email or calendar invite sent to them by the host. The meeting will not display in the upcoming meetings list in the desktop client, mobile app, or web page for alternative hosts.

So the meeting doesn't show up in your Zoom desktop client - or really anywhere else, for that matter, other than in the Join link which the Host should send you.

And you can start the meeting from any device where you could normally start a meeting... which is pretty much anywhere!

If you are being designated the Alt Host for a specific person a lot, you and your frequent host-mate should consider the Scheduling Privilege as an even easier way for the two of you to co-schedule meetings.  To me the great advantage of this is that the meetings show up in both people's Zoom clients.  See this Zoom Support article for more info:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362803 

Some of the Zoom articles can be a little technical. Don't be afraid to pop back here in the Zoom Community with any questions!

I've set up an alternative host who only has the free/basic account. 

Will they be able to manage the waiting room as alternative host?

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @kellymy 

An Alt Host – once in the meeting – is the Host, with all of its privileges… including the ability to turn the Waiting Room on and off.

Note that turning the Waiting Room on will not prevent the actual owner of the Meeting from entering, and there are others who may be able to bypass the Waiting Room.