cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

video during screen share missing ios

angelfire777
Listener

I am pretty sure I could see my pupil when teaching and screen sharing   and they at least could see me, I am using  a ipad. When I screen share now I do not see them or they cannot see me and I cannot see myself. Any help please as there are so many wonderful things I want to do but it is reliant on me seeing my pupil and her seeing me when screen sharing. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have tried that previously but not for a long time so I will try that again- thank-you! I tried the URL link you suggested for a piano book that I had stored online and  that worked for sharing that, so thank-you that was really useful as I didn’t think about doing that😊 I really appreciate your help, kind wishes 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jeremyjustin
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @angelfire777 thank you for your post here on the Zoom Community! When sharing from your iPad to someone else, if you Share, then select "Screen" and mirror, at first you will be seeing the person on the other side and they will be seeing you from your iPad camera. However, let's say you minimize the Zoom client to get into Safari or some other application, when you do that you leave the Zoom app and it will basically mute your video and show your profile picture, if you have one uploaded to your Zoom profile. And since you are out of the Zoom client, you will also not be able to see the person on the far end. 

You can switch back to the Zoom app and see both yourself and the far end, let's say you need to have a discussion...then you would leave the Zoom app open and switch back to Safari or whatever app you are using on your iPad. 

Now, if you select to Share and pick something like Photos, those will come up in the Zoom app and you will be able to still see the person on the far end, and they will be able to see you. 

I also tested by selecting "Share" on the iPad, and selecting "website URL." I punched in youtube.com there and it brought up YouTube within the Zoom client so I was still able to see the far end and vice versa. 

Short answer is if you share your Screen on the iPad and leave the Zoom app, you lose sight with the far end and they lose sight of you. You can switch back to the Zoom app and video will be there. If you use the Share function through Zoom and pick something else in that menu, it looks like you will retain video both ways since you are pulling something up through Zoom. 

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below but if not please reply and we can continue the  discussion. Thank you!

Great info thank-you. There is still one anomaly that when I was sharing screen on my iPad last week  (she uses an iPad too) to use a music note game app with my student, she couldn’t see some notes at the bottom because my video was on  and I could see her too so I know it was working. I haven’t been able to do it since though. It definitely didn’t have mine or pupils video yesterday though. Is there a work around as I need to see my pupil while sharing my screen?  Only have iPad and iPhone? Thanks !

jeremyjustin

Hi @angelfire777 have you thought about this...you could sign into your iPad and iPhone with the same account, and then join the meeting from both. You could use your iPad for sharing and your iPhone for camera so that you always have that video piece enabled no matter what you are doing on the iPad. Just a thought, perhaps that can help? 

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below but if not please reply and we can continue the  discussion. Thank you!

I have tried that previously but not for a long time so I will try that again- thank-you! I tried the URL link you suggested for a piano book that I had stored online and  that worked for sharing that, so thank-you that was really useful as I didn’t think about doing that😊 I really appreciate your help, kind wishes 

I have the same issue as the poster. Can I ask you @jeremyjustin what you mean when you say, “Now, if you select to Share and pick something like Photos, those will come up in the Zoom app and you will be able to still see the person on the far end, and they will be able to see you.” far end?  I did a test with my wife as the student. She can see me and my shared screen, but I can’t see her.