cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turning off & on live transcript during a zoom meeting

TrackerDave
Listener

The controls for managing the Live Transcript function have changed from last month.  It no longer seems possible to turn the Live Transcript off and back on during the meeting. Am I missing something here or is this no longer possible? I've started a meeting via the Windows desktop app and via FIrefox browser; appears to be the same case in both instances.

Thanks,

TrackerDave

4 REPLIES 4

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @TrackerDave,

It's been my experience (at least that I can recall!) that once someone initiates the captioning process, it is always available and won't be turned off.  You can stop your Zoom window from displaying the captions, but you can't stop the transcription process from occurring.  Just clicking the button causes the captions to alternate between Show and Hide.

Since the captioning process then allows for a historical transcript to be captured with the Cloud recording, and this might be essential for a Zoom host when uploading the video for viewers with hearing disabilities, it wouldn't be appropriate to stop the captioning just because nobody was actively displaying it.

Hopefully this helps explain the process a little better.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Thanks for your input Ray. I'm actually not as much concerned with the CC as I am the Live Transcript.  During November 12th-18th I hosted Zoom meetings lasting 2 to 4 hours each. During the frequent breaks in these meetings I play music - and was able to turn off the Live Transcript during the breaks so that it didn't fill with nonsense as it tried to transcribe music lyrics:) I don't recall the effect it had on CC since I never view that onscreen.  This month (and I had updated Zoom prior to starting meetings) that Live Transcript on/off function doesn't seem to be there - the controls seem more centered on CC with the Live Transcript subordinate.  This may be moot however; I see that in the Dec. 19 release there will be the Meeting feature "Temporarily disable automated captions" - so hopefully this will effect the Live Transcript as well.

Ray_Harwood

Thanks, Dave. I’m not sure how the CC and Live Transcript features may or may not be tied together in a technical sense. Sounds like you’ve used them way more than I have!

Let me know here what you think about the Dec 19 release once you’ve checked it out. I’m sure there are others that might have the same issues and would appreciate your input. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Right on - I absolutely will Ray.