cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speaker view keeps switching every few seconds

MikeW11235
Listener

Every few seconds, the person appearing on screen switches, no matter whether I am talking or the guest is talking. Not sure why this would be happening, as I thought the selection is automatically made based on who is speaking. Can anyone off a suggestion or guidance?

12 REPLIES 12

AddictnPodcast
Listener

Would Zoom support please chime in on this?  This only recently started.  I just did the newest update but it still is showing me while my guest is speaking.  This needs to be addressed by Zoom.

ChrisO
Note Taker

Hi MikeW12235,

While it may not be the case, I have noticed this happening in the past when the "non-actively" speaking person still has background noise being picked up. The first thing I would try would be to ask everyone to mute themselves unless talking.

Please remember to mark responses as accepted if they resolve your issue.
***Sometimes success is only achieved through many failures!***

Hi, Chris. while I'm not completely discounting this, it is highly unlikely. I was in the same silent room I've always been in. Plus, the alternating back and forth was taking place no matter who was speaking, meaning that BOTH of us would have been dealing with loud background noise during the same session, at the same time, throughout the entirety of the 15-minute session we had. I suspect there is a different culprit here.

This was not the case with me either.  I know that if I make a sound, the camera would switch but me but I switched off my fan and stayed complete silent and it still happened.

Tadeáš
Listener

Hey, I experienced the same thing. Managed to track it down to a difference of versions — if you downgrade at least one of your participants to at least 5.10.7 (https://zoom.us/client/5.10.7.6120/ZoomInstallerFull.exe), everything works fine. Active speaker can switch to a participant that is unmuted but (literally and technically) silent, it seems completely random. I've been trying to explain to Zoom support since the start of this week but it's a big pain. Perhaps if you report it as well, we can push them to fix this bug 🙂

bykillo
Listener

Mine as well 9 participants not speaking but when mic is on, the active speaker screen is keep jumping every few seconds.** Is the downgrade is only option? or any response from zoom?

ChrisO
Note Taker

The most recent release 5.11.9 was released on the 22nd. Please try updating to this version and see if it resolves the issue.

Tadeáš
Listener

Nono, 5.11.9 is toast as well. As you say, sometimes going backward is the only way to move forward. I invite you to test this :))

MattCPRO
Listener

Hi Mike. You're not alone. We have been struggling with this issue for several weeks now, and the latest update (5.11.9) did not address it. We've tried from multiple devices, multiple configurations, and multiple microphones. The microphone indicators in the panelists section just bounce around like it's picking up audio when there is no sound. It will also switch from someone speaking to someone who is not, and back and forth every few seconds for no reason. We captured video of it to send to Zoom support. Hopefully we can get a fix sometime soon.

ChrisO
Note Taker

Since this is an on going technical issue, please submit a ticket with Zoom Support. Submit a request – Zoom Help Center 

MattCPRO
Listener

Thanks Chris. I did submit a ticket to support. Good news is that according to an email I received today they have investigated and "made some adjustments which should fix the issue of highlighting the non-speaking participants".

We did a recording a little while ago and speaker view behaved as normal. We're going to test more, but it's looking good for this issue being fixed. 👍

MikeW11235 and AddictnPodcast, are you seeing the same?

Excellent, thanks for sharing your findings.