cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

retain virtual background image

Ben_Amata
Listener

when i select a background photo for my virtual background, Zoom retains for a day, then it defaults to my office.  I've a laptop with an attached keyboard, screen, camera, & mouse. 

this problem arose only about two weeks ago after Zoom did an update. previously i added a photo which Zoom retained until i chose to change it which periodically i do.

i believe that there is something in the update that is causing the problem. i contacted my IT person and he said there isn't anything he can do because he agrees it has to do with the update.

10 REPLIES 10

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi ben_amata,

If your account admin set a default virtual background, they can also enabled it to reset back to the default if you changed your virtual background during a meeting.  you may need to discuss with your admin or owner.

please see support article

Changing your Virtual Background image – Zoom Support

thanks,  eliot

dianedew
Listener

I am having the same problem.  I've always used a virtual background, and Zoom always remembered it.  About a month ago, it suddenly started forgetting it every day and reverting back to no background.  Every day I turn it back on but the next day it's gone again.  It does retain it when I have multiple meetings during the same day.

I've googled this a lot and searched Zoom support & community, but your post is the first I've found that mentions this problem.

Have you found a solution?

Pigduff
Listener

I'm having the exact same issue. every day is a new day for my Zoom window/background.

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone! Thank you for your contributions to the Zoom Community. 

For initial troubleshooting, please try the following:

• Sign out of the Zoom desktop client and sign back in.
  • Update your Zoom desktop client if its version is lower than 5.12.9.
  • Uninstall and reinstall the desktop client.

If the steps above don't work, please try these next:

For Windows,
1. Quit Zoom by right-clicking on the Zoom application in your taskbar and selecting Quit Zoom
2. Download CleanZoom by the link below for Windows installation:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360084068792/CleanZoom.zip
3. Run CleanZoom.exe
4. Restart your computer.
5. After doing so you will need to download Zoom from our download center and reinstall
6. Run the downloaded installer file and follow the instructions to install.

For MacOS,

Uninstall Zoom version 4.4.53932.0709 and higher

1. Open the Zoom desktop application.
  2. Select zoom.us at the top of your screen and select Uninstall Zoom.
  3. Select OK to confirm uninstalling the Zoom desktop application and all of its components.
  4. After doing so you will need to download Zoom from our download center and reinstall
  5. Run the downloaded installer file and follow the instructions to install.

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Please click Accept as Solution if you found this reply helpful. Thank you!

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thanks for detailing these steps to try.  I did all the steps and thought it was working normally for a day or 2, but now it is back to losing the virtual background every day.

where is the down thumb? I only see the like thumb 👎

sfc23
Listener

I have the same issue (Win10 Pro) - very frustrating, and clearly linked to a Zoom update.

Oddly, every day Zoom also now looses connection to my speakers and mic - have to reboot.

Hope someone comes up with a patch or fix.

brian1g
Listener

Yep. I have the same problem. I used zoom clean based on directions from a zoom pro in another zoom community chat thread where someone posted about having the same problem. It removed zoom from my pc. I downloaded the latest version as instructed. No help whatsoever. Every morning my virtual background is not on. Looks like the zoom developers are asleep at the wheel. Wake up! Let's go people! 

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone!  A fix for this issue has been added to the Zoom client version 5.13.5.  Please upgrade your Zoom client to the latest version and let me know if that helps! 

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thanks so much!  I just downloaded the update and will see tomorrow if it solved the problem. 🙂