cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

host change effect on zoom meeting recording

jdbecker
Listener

What happens to local recording if a host changes during the meeting?  For example, one host starts the meeting and starts recording, then they need to leave so the alternate host takes over.  Will the recording be saved to the alt host's local or the original host?  Will it be a complete recording of the whole meeting if the original host leaves the Zoom meeting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

When recording locally, your device will only capture the portion of the meeting you were in attendance for. 

In your situation, if the recording host leaves, then their recording will end when they leave the meeting and only be stored on their device If the alternative host takes over, they will need to make sure they begin recording, as that will not start automatically when becoming the host and that portion will only be stored on their device. 

This is why using a cloud recording is often easier, as the data is recorded on the Zoom servers directly, rather than a host's device. Cloud recordings will always record to the host's account, regardless of who has host controls in the actual meeting. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Bort

When recording locally, your device will only capture the portion of the meeting you were in attendance for. 

In your situation, if the recording host leaves, then their recording will end when they leave the meeting and only be stored on their device If the alternative host takes over, they will need to make sure they begin recording, as that will not start automatically when becoming the host and that portion will only be stored on their device. 

This is why using a cloud recording is often easier, as the data is recorded on the Zoom servers directly, rather than a host's device. Cloud recordings will always record to the host's account, regardless of who has host controls in the actual meeting. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Will the person who was made host get notice of the cloud recording? And do they have access?

So to confirm, if I record to the cloud and change the host to someone else after the meeting started, will the recording be interrupted? 

Bort

@marciabartol, no. Even though the person given host controls in the meeting can start a cloud recording, they are not notified when it is complete, nor do they have access by default. 

@Karina3 If the host starts a cloud recording and then passes host controls to another person in the meeting, the cloud recording should be unaffected. There should be no pause or stop in the recording caused by the transfer of host controls, unless the host paused or stopped the recording themselves. 

What if the original host leaves the meeting? Is the recording still unaffected?

Bort

Correct, the cloud recording will continue until it is stopped by someone with host controls, or the meeting ends completely. 

Hi Bort, 

• I was the host (my company login) and the setting was to automatically record locally.
  • During the meeting my co-worker, logged in as himself, took control as host.
  • The "Recording" notice in the upper right of the screen stayed on and the red button stayed on.  
  • I stayed on during the entire duration but was not Host after my co-worker became Host.
  • After the meeting a dialogue popped up on my screen with a status bar showing the the recording was being converted.
  • Now there is no sign of a recording under "Local" (or under "Cloud")
  • How can this be? Is this some sort of a bug?

Thank you,

SOS I need my recording

I'm in a similar boat, Sam, but I was made an alternative host prior to the meeting starting. Will it go to the 'host' who set up the meeting?

Thanks!

Hi Bort,

does cloud recording continue even if original host leaves the room and transfers to another host or Co-host? 

does it just always continue to record as long as someone is in the room? 

jdbecker
Listener

Thank you!  I don't have cloud recording option so will contact my company and see if that can be changed