cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

have existing chat from main room accessible when joining breakout rooms

mariuzz
Listener

Hello ,

I need to share some instructions on chat with participants, then send participants to breakout rooms.

When they enter a breakout room, chat from main room is no longer present (chat is empty).

How to make chat contents (as it were before joining a breakout room) accessible in breakout rooms?

Also tried Broadcast message to all, that's not an alternative.

This isn't mentioned at https://blog.zoom.us/using-zoom-breakout-rooms/

but this other doc https://management.buffalo.edu/content/dam/mgt/Internal/Faculty-Resources/Documents/Zoom-Breakout-Ro...

says "Your chat history follows you. This means while attendees are in a breakout room, they will still
be able to view the chat messages from the main room prior to entering a breakout room. " -- this is what I need, but tested with participants (joined from web browser) and Chat clears when entering breakout.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

kjhartma
Community Champion | Customer

Hi,

I am the author of the documentation you linked above.  I got the information from testing and opening a ticket with Zoom and asking questions about breakout rooms.

We've always used the app to log in to our meetings.   I see you mentioned web browser,  I wonder if that could be part of the issue.

Please feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Thanks! Some participants will always join from the browser, so we need to find a solution which works in the browser.

I have had this happen also to those using the Zoom App on iOS device. The Chat message goes away when they go into a breakout, which is a pain as we have directions given in the main chat before we send people off to breakouts. Anyone know a workaround for this?

any solution?

kjhartma

Have the host stay in the main room and broadcast a message with your instructions to all rooms might be a good option.

Unfortunately because broadcast disappear

rochellemaan22
Listener

Should we inform our participants to ensure that their Zoom accounts are up to date as well, or is it sufficient to update only our own Zoom account as the host of the call? I tried to update my Zoom account and it works. The previous messages are still there but for our participants, the previous chat disappears when they join the breakout room.