cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

green patch flashes in corner

Na33
Listener

(This is a new laptop so I don't know if this is a zoom issue or a computer issue.  This does not occur in the camera app)

On zoom, green "noise lines" flash periodically (but not in a regular timing) in one corner of the video (only in my video not on other attendees that is visible to myself and the other attendees).  The video itself stays fine but these flashes occur.  The attached picture shows one of the flashes.  Is it a setting to change or a computer issue?  It also happens when I am the only person in the zoom meeting.  The version of zoom is 5.13.7 (12602) and the camera is the built in camera on a Lenovo computer.

14 REPLIES 14

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @Na33 , thank you for contributing to the Zoom Community! Can you try the following and let me know if that solves the issue:

In your Zoom app, please go to your Settings > Video, then scroll to the bottom and click Advanced. Untick the "Optimize video quality with de-noise" check box and test your video again.

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 4.05.50 PM.png

Let me know if that does the trick! 

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Please click Accept as Solution if you found this reply helpful. Thank you!

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

This didn't make any difference nor did disabling hardware acceleration.  Further time on the computer since the original posting showed it was not only during zoom -- just more frequent then - but also in the Lenovo app (for changing settings, help, etc) and it did occur in the camera app noticed when on the barcode selection.  I now believe it is an issue with this particular laptop and will be returning it.

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Thank you for keeping me updated! 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help 🙂

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team

Hello, I am having the exact same issue with my Lenovo laptop. Did you ever figure out the issue or did you return your computer? Thank you

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @zlmojo , have you tried completely uninstalling the Zoom app by downloading and running CleanZoom, rebooting your device, and then reinstalling?

Let me know how it goes. 

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team

Na33
Listener

To zlmojo: I returned that laptop and got a replacement from the store I purchased it from (as it was that new so this still a possibility).  I've been testing the new laptop on zoom for probably at least an hour over multiple sessions and didn't see any issue. HOWEVER, last night the new computer was having the green flashes during zoom.  😞  The laptop had just automatically downloaded updates and needed a restart which I had done.  Whether this was coincidental or connected I don't know.    I am following a discussion on Lenovo community (search "green patches") for others having the same issue but it doesn't have a resolution there yet. 

CarlaA -- I did uninstall and reinstall zoom but didn't do the CleanZoom.  So zlmojo if you try that please report.  Thanks.

FYI, I returned the Laptop for a new one of the same model. The second laptop experienced exactly the same issue right out of the box. I returned the second laptop and orderd a different brand/different model. 

David451
Listener

I have exactly the same problem when using zoom (it may be present elsewhere but I don't know as I only use zoom) I'm using a new Lenovo ThinkPad e14 gen 4

That is interesting to be also on a ThinkPad -- so far the messages I had seen here and on Lenovo were on IdeaPads.  Was this happening with the built-in camera or did you have a USB camera attached?  Someone had suggested I borrow a USB camera and try it to see it made a difference -- based on your attached photo I wasn't sure which camera for you (or if the photo was on a 2nd computer showing what the ThinkPad's image was).

To NA33

The Think pad is a standard ThinkPad E14 Gen 4. with the addition of a Nvidia GEForce MX550, and finger print reader.

I have had the computer a couple of months. I have regularly used zoom with an external webcam and monitor without issues. Its only since I have tried to do zoom meetings using the laptop screen and built in camera  that I have experienced the green zags.  The picture attached to my previous post was taken when using the built in camera with "optimise quality of the video I send with denoise" unchecked. (it also made no difference if the "optimise quality of the video I send with de-noise" is set or unset.)

Interesting additional data.  Any chance you would be able to use the external camera but with the laptop screen?  I'm not sure what that would take for you to try but something I am interested in knowing the results (when I find someone I can borrow an external camera from).

(I had also changed video rendering method in the Zoom advanced video settings to Direct3D9 based on a suggestion from Lenovo but it did not change things)

Interestingly the flashes seem to have stopped (at least for now) so i cant do any fault finding.

I have clicked a lot of zoom buttons, and have updated various drivers and bios on the computer.  I think the green disappeared after i deselected and then re selected all three of the hardware acceleration buttons in zoom (although that may just have been coincidence)

Thanks for the reply.  Let's keep each other posted if anything changes and touch base in a couple weeks to see if hopefully for you the green flashes stay gone.  

While I was in the help session with Lenovo with the original laptop, they had updated the driver for the camera and for the Intel Iris XE graphics but those did not seem to make a difference.  I have not updated the BIOS (either on the 1st laptop or the 2nd one).

Thanks

Have the green flashes stayed away?  I haven't done really any zooming on the idea pad recently.  I did zoom today for about 15-20 mins and did not see any green flashes -- but feel based on past behavior would need to test it longer.  The auto updates recently did update the camera driver so my test today was with the updated driver.  On the Lenovo forum a person wrote "I fixed mine by going into device manager and changing the driver to an older one( it gave me 2 options)."  but I don't know which driver they are referring to.