cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

display name

don-mchs
Listener

I need to know how to change my (default) Display Name. My Account Settings show "Don Rose" but whenever I join a Zoom session, it always displays my email address (don@mchenrycountyhistory.org).

If the host allows it, I can change it during the session, but that's typically not the case and is very inconvenient.

Please reply with clear directions on how to fix things so my email address is not the default display name.

13 REPLIES 13

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @don-mchs ,

When you click on your profile tab while logged into your account you will see a display name field that you can fill out, but commonly what I tend to see when people see their email address is that they are not signed in to the Zoom application on their device, whether that be a mobile device or a laptop. 

If you are on a window machine make sure that you go to the start menu and then start to type zoom. It will populate with open zoom app. Click to open the app and then proceed to enter your credentials to sign in to the zoom meeting client (aka the zoom app) you can check the little radio box that asks if you wish to stay signed in to the app. I believe that you will see better behavior if you are signed into the application of your true display name in meetings from now on. 

Hope this helps!

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

I'd like to  acknowledge the three of you who've taken the time to reply here.

Brandon:

I'm a Mac, not a Windows user.  The way I ALWAYS launch Zoom is by clicking on an invitation link that arrives via email. I'm asked if I'd like to launch Zoom and I say Okay. Then, I'm in and Zooming. So, your response wasn't helpful for me.

WaltHP:

I've not tried your checkbox permanence solution, but will look for it next time I Zoom.

imsosarah:

Agreed. Maybe WaltHP's suggestion will work for us. I'm all about having choices stick, so we don't have to do the same thing over and over.

-Don

In addition, let's hope Zoom developers are noticing our concerns here and will respond accordingly.

-Don

WaltHP
Listener

During the Zoom session, in Windows, if you hover your cursor over your image box, a set of three blue dots will appear in the upper right corner. Click on them and a menu will open. Bottom item is changing the displayed profile name, with a checkbox to make the change permanent, as opposed to the change being only for that session.

We shouldn't have to do that EVERY time we log into a zoom meeting 5-8 times a day vs having it work 

>>During the Zoom session, in Windows, if you hover your cursor over your image box, a set of three blue dots will appear in the upper right corner. Click on them and a menu will open. Bottom item is changing the displayed profile name, with a checkbox to make the change permanent, as opposed to the change being only for that session.<<

This worked until last month, and now no longer does. Does anyone know where it moved?

Margie_W
Listener

@CJFeola  The same thing happened to me.  It used to be an option (which I selected), but now my name has reverted and the option to save it permanently is gone.

YaBoiB

@Margie_W

That is because in your main profile page, you can now change your display name permanently. If you go to your profile page then edit, you will see a permanent way to display whatever characters you choose. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 1.03.25 PM.png

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

KBneedinghelp
Listener

I changed my display name "permanently" in my dashboard as you described. BUT an old "fun" name I used once continues to show up during client meetings. What is the fix for this? I need a true permanent change here. 

YaBoiB

@KBneedinghelp

Changing the display name is a permanent fix. I am not sure what you mean by "an old fun name" coming back up on meetings means. Do you have multiple accounts? Are you logging in through google and have multiple email addresses associated with two or more Zoom accounts? 

When you make the edit to your display name it will show up like that in all meetings until you change it. That makes it a permanent solution. 

Thanks,

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

I only have one Zoom account with one email associated. The "old name" is a name which is NOT my display name. This other name is showing up in meetings instead of my display name. 

YaBoiB

@KBneedinghelp

I am sorry, but that does not make sense to me. If you are logged in to the Zoom account that is associated to your one and only email account then you will have all control of the Surname and the display name in your profile tab of the account. When you are logged in on a web browser. 

If you would like to, submit a support ticket so that our team can check your email addresses and see if this is matching up. We do not allow PII (Personal Identifiable Information) in the Zoom Community, so there is not much I can do about this issue unless I am looking at your account.

Thanks, 

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

This is happening to me as well. I have permanently changed my display name. Yet, when I use zoom from my laptop, my display name shows up as my email address during meetings. I do not want my email address showing up as my display name. I want my display name to be what I permanently changed it to. How can you truly permanently change your display name that will remain that display name regardless of the device you are using to attend a meeting?