cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delete in-meeting chat

zaba
Listener

Hello, 

why can't messages be deleted or moderated in in-chat meetings and webinars? It would be a great feature. Now in-chat meetings are very risky and it is often safer to disable or limit them to host and co-hosts only.

Thanks!

Federico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Markwood
Listener

If you're the meeting host or have the appropriate permissions, you can delete the in-meeting chat in Zoom. Here's how to do it:

1. During the meeting, click on the "Chat" button at the bottom of the screen to open the chat panel.
  2. Hover over the message you want to delete and click on the three dots that appear on the right side of the message.
  3. Select "Delete" from the menu that appears.
  4. Click "Yes" to confirm that you want to delete the message.

If you want to delete the entire chat history for the meeting, you can do so by following these steps:

1. Click on the "Chat" button at the bottom of the screen to open the chat panel.
  2. Click on the three dots in the top-right corner of the chat panel.
  3. Select "Clear Chat History" from the menu that appears.
  4. Click "Yes" to confirm that you want to delete the chat history.

Note that deleting the chat history will delete all messages for the meeting and cannot be undone. Also, if you're a participant and not the meeting host, you may not have the permission to delete messages or clear the chat history.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

alexisbrown
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @zaba ,

Thank you for sharing this feedback.  At this time, all feedback is managed within our Zoom feedback form. I encourage you to submit this idea there, where the information will then be passed along to the relevant product team for review. 

Thank you! 🙂

Alexis

Alexis
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

jsohotha
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

@zaba this feature is actually available but has to be enabled by support.

If you open a ticket and request that 'Allow to configure deleting messages in meeting chat' be enabled on the account you will have the option to allow the host to delete in-meeting chat in meetings and webinar.

Could a Zoom person explain why isn't this a default in the system? I will run a large meeting, and to avoid issues/disruptions, this is simply a must-have option. @alexisbrown Thanks.

Hi @cassiopc ,

I appreciate this feedback. I encourage you to submit this to our Zoom feedback team, where they can then review and take into consideration.

Thanks!

Alexis

Alexis
Zoom Community Team

Sure, I will do it. In the meantime, is the only idea available that we configure to have no chat to avoid an issue? Or is there anything smarter to do in order to be on the safe side? You know, nowadays it is quite crucial, so it is strange that this is not already taken care by zoom... Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately yes, at this time, this is still an action you must submit a support ticket for to request assistance for deletion.

Alexis
Zoom Community Team

How do we submit a "support" ticket? When did this change? I used to be able to do it.

Is 'opening a ticket' the same as submitting this request to a Feedback form?

jsohotha
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

@VIIGTreasurer apologies I meant open a ticket with support to have this feature enabled. You can do this via the link below.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new

@jsohotha Once this setting is enabled by Zoom support, is it active for all hosts of that Zoom account? Does it need to be flipped on in settings anywhere? I submitted a ticket and was informed that the option was enabled, but I still cannot delete messages in meeting chat as host in Personal Room or Scheduled Meetings

jsohotha
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hi @hooshies ! We have a new meeting chat experience so it should no longer be necessary to request this feature be enabled.

If you would like to use the new meeting chat experience and allow participants to delete messages please see the article linked below.

Enabling the new meeting chat experience 

ZoomJen
Listener

I am wondering if this is still true - if I am the host of a Webinar, I need to submit a ticket and request 'Allow to configure deleting messages in meeting chat' in order to be able to delete inappropriate messages in chat?  If this is the case, can someone please direct me on where I do this?  Thank you 🙂 

Markwood
Listener

If you're the meeting host or have the appropriate permissions, you can delete the in-meeting chat in Zoom. Here's how to do it:

1. During the meeting, click on the "Chat" button at the bottom of the screen to open the chat panel.
  2. Hover over the message you want to delete and click on the three dots that appear on the right side of the message.
  3. Select "Delete" from the menu that appears.
  4. Click "Yes" to confirm that you want to delete the message.

If you want to delete the entire chat history for the meeting, you can do so by following these steps:

1. Click on the "Chat" button at the bottom of the screen to open the chat panel.
  2. Click on the three dots in the top-right corner of the chat panel.
  3. Select "Clear Chat History" from the menu that appears.
  4. Click "Yes" to confirm that you want to delete the chat history.

Note that deleting the chat history will delete all messages for the meeting and cannot be undone. Also, if you're a participant and not the meeting host, you may not have the permission to delete messages or clear the chat history.