cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

background is always blurred

sonoerin
Listener

I am using Mac OS 13.2 and recently my Zoom background is always blurred unless I have a photo for my virtual background.  I have tested with multiple cameras (built-in, iPhone, NexiGo) and all show this behavior in Zoom.  It does not occur in other apps such as FaceTime or Photo Booth.  It is not quite as blurred as the "Blur" option in the "Background & Effects" but clearly out of focus.

I notice this only on my MacBook Pro and not my iPhone.

This is fairly recent behavior and I cannot find any setting in either the desktop or web client that corrects it.

Has anyone seen this behavior or know how to correct it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TomO
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

On the new versions of MacOS, Apple has added a new Video Effects (Change video effects for FaceTime calls on Mac ). Try to turn off the Video Effects mode while using Zoom. The blurred background effect should then be removed.

TomO_0-1676660297384.png

If this resolves your issue please mark this reply as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TomO

On the new versions of MacOS, Apple has added a new Video Effects (Change video effects for FaceTime calls on Mac ). Try to turn off the Video Effects mode while using Zoom. The blurred background effect should then be removed.

TomO_0-1676660297384.png

If this resolves your issue please mark this reply as an accepted solution.

Thank you for not only identifying the issue, but providing a solution.  It appears to be working correctly now.

Yes, this worked. Thank you!

erossen
Listener

Also worked for me but that's crazy that one would have to turn off Video Effects for FT to get rid of a undesired blur in Zoom.

carsey
Listener

Just FYI - It looks like it's called "Portrait" on the dropdown on the apple menu (white video icon with green background) while you're in zoom.

hypnosecoaching
Listener

Thank you so much! i totally went nuts with that issue!!

Elkite
Listener

Thank you for this answer. I had the same problem; in Zoom, I always had a blurred background, which I do not want. I opened FaceTime and clicked on "portrait." In FaceTime, my screen is sharp, but then, following what Tom suggested, I went to the panel where you should see the video effect (see photo), and I couldn't find it. My Mac and Zoom are both updated to the latest version. Does anybody have a tip? Thanks 

TheWell
Listener

I actually found the different filter options by clicking the green FaceTime/camera button in the top menu bar, not the control panel. You can see where the green FaceTime button is in the Accepted solution photo above.

Elkite
Listener

Thanks for your reaction. I already tried enabling and reactivating "portrait," (see foto) but in the Zoom app, the background is still blurred without activating the blur function in Zoom. Has somebody experienced this? (My MacBook is updated to Sonoma 14.4.1.) Regards.