cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another person hosting our club meeting

Abtsdale
Listener

Maybe once in two, three years, agenda's collide and we need someone other to schedule/host our monthly meeting. Yes, I have read about extra licence and 'member of the account', but I don't have a clear picture of the possibility of having another host for such a rare occasion. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to get a replacement to start and end a club meeting, without having to purchase a separate license for him/her for the occasion? And does the stand-in have the rights of the licensed user he/she replaces, if the replacement only has a basic license?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

@Abtsdale , @Pepito142  has pointed you in the right direction, but I'll add a little extra info for you.

See this Zoom Support article on the Host Key; it's a little technical, but basically does explain where the host key is, and how to use it:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205172555-Using-your-host-key

This is something you should only give to a trusted associate, and you must have "Join Before Host" enabled for it to work.  I also recommend changing the Host Code occasionally if you do share it with more than one person regularly.  Security, and all that.

Unfortunately, the Alternate Host won't work for you if you're unwilling to spring for another paid account.  See this Zoom Support article on Alternate Host, which points out that the Alternate Host must be a licensed account AND on the same organizational account as the Host/Scheduling account:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208220166-Designating-an-alternative-host

So I think the Host Code is a good way to get around this on an infrequent basis.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

Thanks, Pepito and Ray. I haven't thought about using the Host Code. I gave my co-board member my username/password combi, but Zoom detects working on another computer and sends a code by email to verify. That is great practice, but the code arrived on MY email, so nobody ever saw that until I returned and read my mail 😄 So: no meeting. You think that will be solved by using the Host Code by my collegae, or will they (because of the strange, unknown, computer) keep sending a verify code ??
You commented on the extra license: the thing is that the account belongs to the club and at this moment I am the one who plans the meetings for all. That will change when someone else takes over from me. Is there another way to let other board members use the account, if needed? Because this way you can never take a day off, or go on your holiday! 😁
Thank for the trouble, though...both of you 👍👍

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Pepito142
Listener

Having someone to schedule a meeting or hosting are two different things.

The only way I know of someone scheduling a meeting for you to give your zoom credentials to someone else. From the security standpoint, that is not advisable. 

I believe you have two options,

• You schedule the meeting and then add someone with a zoom free account as an alternative host.
  • You can share your "host key" you whoever you want to host the meeting. This key will allow anyone to claim host. 

Hope this information helps you

Ray_Harwood

@Abtsdale , @Pepito142  has pointed you in the right direction, but I'll add a little extra info for you.

See this Zoom Support article on the Host Key; it's a little technical, but basically does explain where the host key is, and how to use it:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205172555-Using-your-host-key

This is something you should only give to a trusted associate, and you must have "Join Before Host" enabled for it to work.  I also recommend changing the Host Code occasionally if you do share it with more than one person regularly.  Security, and all that.

Unfortunately, the Alternate Host won't work for you if you're unwilling to spring for another paid account.  See this Zoom Support article on Alternate Host, which points out that the Alternate Host must be a licensed account AND on the same organizational account as the Host/Scheduling account:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208220166-Designating-an-alternative-host

So I think the Host Code is a good way to get around this on an infrequent basis.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Thanks, Pepito and Ray. I haven't thought about using the Host Code. I gave my co-board member my username/password combi, but Zoom detects working on another computer and sends a code by email to verify. That is great practice, but the code arrived on MY email, so nobody ever saw that until I returned and read my mail 😄 So: no meeting. You think that will be solved by using the Host Code by my collegae, or will they (because of the strange, unknown, computer) keep sending a verify code ??
You commented on the extra license: the thing is that the account belongs to the club and at this moment I am the one who plans the meetings for all. That will change when someone else takes over from me. Is there another way to let other board members use the account, if needed? Because this way you can never take a day off, or go on your holiday! 😁
Thank for the trouble, though...both of you 👍👍

Pepito142
Listener

@Abtsdale, as @Ray_Harwood mentioned, using the host key (and taking all the precautions he suggested) is the best solution for you. Using it won't trigger any verification from Zoom. My organization has used that method in the past with no problem when we needed to run several meeting at the same time but didn't want to get extra licenses.

jelly1
Listener

1. @Abtsdale wrote:

Maybe once in two, three years, agenda's collide and we need someone other to schedule/host our monthly meeting. Yes, I have read about extra licence and 'member of the account', but I don't have a clear picture of the possibility of having another host for such a rare occasion. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to get a replacement to start and end a club meeting, without having to purchase a separate license for him/her for the occasion? And does the stand-in have the rights of the licensed user he/she replaces, if the replacement only has a basic license?