cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom won't upload .mov files from my iPhone

David_Sands
Listener

When I try to upload a .mov video file created by my iPhone, I get a "Unsupported format. Please upload a different file." message with the option to "Choose Another Video." Surely iPhone videos are supported. Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @CharlieGF @Simonclark99 I believe this is intentional. I am testing in-meeting chat, and there are no options to uploading .mov video formats. However, you have the option to upload to an external source such as e.g., Google Drive, Box, etc. So, from in-meeting chat, video upload is not supported

RN_0-1708453733598.png

If you've uploading to Zoom Team Chat (differs from in-meeting chat), you have the option to upload camera (picture no video), photo, file (e.g. google drive, box), gif or video message. 

RN_2-1708453983657.png

If you need to upload a video to Zoom Team Chat, it seems from experience this opens your recents from your Photo Gallery. If you choose photo, in the upper left-hand corner you will have ( < ) button, where you can choose from your video album from your iOS device. 

Hope this helps! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Where exactly are you trying to upload the video? In-meeting chat? Zoom chat? Sharing it during a meeting? 

I was simply trying to upload a short video shot on my iPhone via the Zoom app on my iMac under Settings/Background&Filters. I had clicked on the "+" sign and selected "Add Video." When I selected the .mov file created by my iPhone and saved to the hard drive, I got the "Unsupported format. Please upload a different file." message with the option to "Choose Another Video." It's my understanding that .mov files are "supported."

Bort

Yes, MOV files are supported for use as a video virtual background. If its not allowing that video to be selected, there must be something incompatible with that particular file. Perhaps the resolution or the codec is not compatible.

Thanks for trying to help, Bart. Today, after I updated to Mac OS 15.0.1 and the latest Zoom app, I tried to upload a couple .MOV files created by iPhone and transferred to my iMac. I got the same message as before. How can I correct this problem?

Bort

Not exactly sure. You might try converting the video files into another format or just another variant of the mov format. VLC is a great video player, but it can also convert files: https://vlchelp.com/convert-video-format/

I also cannot upload .mov files created by my iPhone 12 Pro camera on iOS 17.2.1.

I tried using VLC to convert to another video codec, and those files with m4v extensions were not even allowed by the MacOS Zoom Zoom app uploader.

I tried renaming the '.mov' extension to a '.mp4' extension and the Zoom background video uploader did not like it, saying that it was an unsupported format.

What video formats are supported, exactly?  

DocDave
Listener

I'm able to upload iPhone videos taken through August 2021. There was an iOS update in September, and since then I get that error message from Zoom.

Simonclark99
Listener

Did you resolve this issue and if so how please? I have the same issue MOV file recorded on iPhone gives a message 'Unsupported format'. Converting to MP4 still gives the same message. Zoom support pages say both formats are compatible.

I have the same issue. I think it started when I upgraded from an iPhone 6s to an iPhone 13.  There may be something about iPhone 13 videos that is different.  I too tried to convert with VLC to an MP4 format. That file is grayed out and is not even available to try and upload.  Help!

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @CharlieGF @Simonclark99 I believe this is intentional. I am testing in-meeting chat, and there are no options to uploading .mov video formats. However, you have the option to upload to an external source such as e.g., Google Drive, Box, etc. So, from in-meeting chat, video upload is not supported

RN_0-1708453733598.png

If you've uploading to Zoom Team Chat (differs from in-meeting chat), you have the option to upload camera (picture no video), photo, file (e.g. google drive, box), gif or video message. 

RN_2-1708453983657.png

If you need to upload a video to Zoom Team Chat, it seems from experience this opens your recents from your Photo Gallery. If you choose photo, in the upper left-hand corner you will have ( < ) button, where you can choose from your video album from your iOS device. 

Hope this helps! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

jenniferine
Listener

I am having this issue too! Glad I am not having to waste time trying to convert but it's very frustrating...