What's New at Zoom? Join our upcoming webinar to get a first-hand look into some of our exciting new product and feature releases.

Register Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom unusably slow on Ubuntu 22.04 ... possibly issue with nVidia drivers/hardware

cpsyctc
Listener

I use zoom a lot , my work is pretty dependent on it.  Previously it has worked pretty well but I have just had to change machines and move from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04.  Now zoom is unusably slow from launch: even entering my Email address and password is hopelessly slow.  I think this is an issue that is not unique to zoom and I've seen something similar with Chromium and derivative browers, Rstudio, even Ubuntu disks.  I think this is an issue with the graphics driver and hardware acceleration as switching acceleration off in Chromium solves the problem there.  I think it may be related to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Zoom/comments/twotkf/install_zoom_on_ubuntu_2204/ but the solutions thre don't work for me.  The machine is a "Clevo" with "AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics" and "GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q]" (from lshw).  I would really love an early fix for this!  TIA, Chris

1 REPLY 1

tmousawnf
Listener

I haven't been able to get the Zoom client to work well with my Ubuntu 22.04 install. I am joining through the browser. I did notice the Zoom client was so slow it was unusable before abandoning it. I found that hardware acceleration was causing the slowness. Same with Chrome. In Chrome, I select Settings, expand Advanced and select System. I then toggled off `Use hardware acceleration when available` and that completely fixed my Chrome. It helped in the Zoom client when I was trying to use it, but if your experience mirrors mine, I wasn't able to share my screen in the Zoom client. I have started using Chrome to use Zoom and it allows me to share my screen.