cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom performance steadily deteriorates on Linux Ubuntu

brownfr
Listener

I am running Zoom 5.8 on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS.  Recently  I started experiencing behavior where Zoom runs fine at first.  Then after 30-45 minutes the video starts to freeze up for varying amounts of time that slowly increases.  The audio comes through fine but the user interface also freezes up.  When I run System Monitor I see that one of the four cpu cores is pegged at 100% while the video is frozen.  When the core comes unpegged the video briefly unfreezes until one of the cores again pegs at 100%.  The other three cores are running around 40-60% at the same time.  This same system used to run fine on previous Zoom releases.   Anyone have any suggestions?

16 REPLIES 16

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @brownfr 

Are you using captioning or live transcriptions? 

brownfr
Listener

The meetings are using live transcriptions.  I have not had problems in other meetings without live transcriptions, but those meetings also have at most about ten participants and I spend most of the time in a breakout room with only two other people.

Also, it does not seem to matter whether I turn off the captioning display or not.

dwbotsch
Listener

Hi. I'm also seeing this problem on linux. It seems to be directly related to if the live captioning is enabled for a meeting.

and once captioning is enabled, you are screwed unless you want to restart zoom every so often.

If the person stops speaking (and there's no captions being generated), the interface will free up until more captions.

I'm noting the cpu pegging as well, again directly related.

So far, zoom claims they can't reproduce the issue. Which is strange... I've been on meetings with folk using all manner of linux distros/versions/x11/wayland, and each and every person had the problem if captions were turned on.

Does not affect windows/mac.

I'm able to reproduce this on Fedora/X11 and RHEL8/Wayland, myself, personally.

Thanks.

Vince_Pf
Listener

I have the same exact issue on my openSUSE Leap and Linux Mint. Running "top" shows the reserved memory of the app growing and growing. Once it reaches 1.4GiB it's pretty much unresponsive. I have submitted a number of bug reports. Is there anything we can do to help Zoom debug this issue?

I never resolved the problem but think it was related to the video card.  I have bought a new system and do not have the problem.

Vince_Pf
Listener

So far, for the one meeting since I've used it, with no hardware changes,  the version 5.9.6 seems fixed-or at least vastly improved. The memory usage is still quite a bit, but it never became unresponsive.

Kristian
Listener

I am seeing the same problem on OpenSuse Tumbleweed with zoom 5.10.0 . It does look like this only happens in webinars with live captions. This is a Wayland based system.

adykstra
Listener

I'm experiencing this issue as well with 5.10.6 on Pop!_Os 20.04, which is based on Ubuntu 20.04. It seems directly related to whether or not live captioning is enabled by the host. Works fine for a good stretch, but slowly deteriorates over time to eventually be unusable.

Philip2
Listener

Same problem here on OpenSuse Tumbleweed with KDE. Just experienced it while presenting at a conference, which made it really awkward. Everything was previously fine with Kubuntu 20.04; I switched to OpenSuse last week, keeping the same hardware. The conference had captions and recording switched on. I don't know if that caused it; I can't really tell the organisers to switch it off... The Zoom version is 5.11.1 (3595). One CPU core goes up to 100% and stays there. Memory usage goes up to 1.7 GB and stays there. The audio seems fine, but the video keeps freezing for several seconds at a time, at all times.

funfactor
Listener

same problem for me:

Opensuse Tumbleweed, latest patches, Nvidia GPU with propiertary NVIDIA drivers installed.

When somebody starts live transcription in a meeting it takes about 40-60 minutes till the system becomes unresponsible.

top shows zoom at the beginning with a load about 30-40, but at the end zoom shows a load of 130-150.

Tried now since weeks with different Zoom versions, not working.

I really need a solution for this, otherwise zoom is not usable under Linux.

nelg
Listener

Same problem here, on multiple Linux computers.   seems worse in larger meetings. Arch Linux + latest zoom.

Vince_Pf
Listener

The issue has been fixed for me since 5.9.6 on Debian and Mint. I haven't tried openSUSE since then.

LS650V
Listener

Debian 11 + XFCE.  Zoom deb version 5.12.6 (173).  Attended a zoom webinar yesterday where the host had live transcriptions enabled.  This problem still exists for me.  I am forced to use Windows 10 when attending zoom webinars because this issue still has not been resolved.

GlenOgilvie
Listener

Why is this issue being ignored Zoom developers?

same for me on ubuntu