cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom not using webcam, but other apps do (RDP)

Tim_Myth
Listener

The video preview in the Zoom desktop app just shows a grey box.  My webcam is the selected webcam. It is the only webcam on the list. Other apps (like webcamtests.com and splitcam) show video from my webcam.  Zoom DOES pass through audio. Since other apps show video and Zoom does audio, I've obviously configured the RDP connection to pass through video and audio. Why would Zoom fail to do video when other apps can?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim_Myth
Listener

Thanks @YaBoiB ,

This is a Windows Server 2019 terminal server my users log in to for a virtual desktop.  Apps are allowed to use the camera in Privacy settings, but Zoom is not a listed app. Only Cortana and Desktop App Web Viewer are listed. Even when looking at my Windows 10 laptop Camera Privacy Settings, Zoom is not a listed app, and Zoom works as expected on my laptop. However, I did notice that Remote Desktop was NOT allowed to use my webcam in my local machine's privacy settings. I enabled it, and now it works! 

So apparently the real question I should be asking is why the other apps didn't respect my privacy settings!! 

Thanks for making me look in the right place! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @Tim_Myth,
My name is Brandon. Thanks for joining the Zoom Community! Have you given the Zoom App permission to utilize your camera in your system settings? If you are a macOS user, it will be in your system preferences, like the screenshot below. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.12.03 PM.png

 If you are a Windows user, we have a support article created to assist you with your video settings. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208362326-Video-not-working-on-Lenovo-devices

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Tim_Myth
Listener

Thanks @YaBoiB ,

This is a Windows Server 2019 terminal server my users log in to for a virtual desktop.  Apps are allowed to use the camera in Privacy settings, but Zoom is not a listed app. Only Cortana and Desktop App Web Viewer are listed. Even when looking at my Windows 10 laptop Camera Privacy Settings, Zoom is not a listed app, and Zoom works as expected on my laptop. However, I did notice that Remote Desktop was NOT allowed to use my webcam in my local machine's privacy settings. I enabled it, and now it works! 

So apparently the real question I should be asking is why the other apps didn't respect my privacy settings!! 

Thanks for making me look in the right place! 🙂

YaBoiB

Hello @Tim_Myth

That is an excellent question. If my response helped determine a solution, please depress the accepted solutions button on the bottom right, please?

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?