cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom meeting laptop audio problem--voice ok but trying to hear a chime---nothing

ruachpikzub
Listener

I recently bought a computer and my old computer (On a zoom meeting) would be able to 

pick up the sound of my guitar and a singing bowl.   The new computer does not.  I have gone into settings

and have chosen the option under audio profile and chosen original sound for musician and "X" high fidelity and I tried also  choosing Stereo audio.  I left echo cancelled unchecked.   Every time I test, I just get my voice and not the musical instrument or chime.  

I have also left unchecked  automatically adjust volume.  

Any suggestions 

10 REPLIES 10

Thanks Rachel but this is not any of that.  I am sitting in a room with an external blue tooth speaker playing music right next to me and talking.  My voice is heard but the music is completely cancelled out.  I have set the audio to account for musicians, put it in high fidelity, stereo, etc.  You can hear my voice clear as a bell but no music at all. 

MariaO
Listener

I am having the same problem.  I conduct zoom workout classes and my students can hear my voice but not the accompanying music I play.  

ruachpikzub
Listener

I tried uninstalling zoom but the problem remains......so frustrating because I want to support my church by providing music

mBriathra
Listener

I'm having the problem of other users hearing voice but not instrument (if I'm using the internal speakers) on my MacBook Pro laptop. Using interface (Scarlett 212) it's ok unless I play a whistle (tenor D) to the mic. Then it cant be heard. Only voice.

Hi2023
Listener

Same here. 

Yes, I can't get Scarlett 212 to work with Zoom at all.  All settings are correct.  I am trying to play piano over zoom.

I wish zoom would got on this and fix it, as I use zoom for music lessons.

Guess many of us are having similar issues.  By any chance you're using your Scarlett 2i2 with a Mac (Catalina or lower)?  My older Macs (for teaching) are experiencing audio issues, but newer Macs with same audio equipment do not have these issues.

Nick12
Listener

I have the same problem. Its a sound suppression issue. I fixed it on my Asus i7, windows 10, but soince zoom upgrades it has broken again. very annoying. Voice fine, Harmonica and guitar no sound at all. Using various mic's from Rode to AM, no joy.

Nick

MariaO
Listener

My problem was similar - it started when I got a new laptop.  Turned out to be the Bang and Olufsen audio control app.  I had to change the settings in the app and it's fixed now.  This was a windows PC.  Have no idea what it could be with the Macs.

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

Most current computer systems have some form of noise suppression. This noise suppression can conflict with the Zoom noise suppression.

OSX has noise suppression (Voice Isolation, IOS has noise suppression (Voice isolation) , Windows has noise suppression, It may be called something different like audio enhancement, but it does the same task.

1. Press Win + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
  2. From the left pane, select System > Sound.
  3. Scroll down to the Advanced section and click All sound devices.
  4. Under the Output devices section, click on Speakers.
  5. Click on the Audio enhancements drop-down menu and select Off.

Your sound card drivers, or hardware vendor software may also have noise suppression that conflicts with Zooms built in systems. I think Realtek call it "Microphone Effects".

Consult your hardware vendor for details on how to turn off this noise suppression.

Here is one example

https://technicallyeasy.net/disable-audio-enhancements-windows-10/ 

Configuring Zooms settings and your hardware / operating system may lead ypu to a resolution.

Regards,