cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom crashing when joining a meeting

londonuser60
Listener

Hi all - I'm hoping someone can assist with the issue I am experiencing.

I am using Windows 11 and the 64 bit version of the Zoom client (version 5.8.4 (1736)) - I have also tried the 32 bit version of the client and have the same issue.

Basically after I sign in with my Gmail account, before doing anything else (e.g. navigating any Zoom screens), Zoom immediately crashes.  I have also tried the version in the Microsoft store which I note is older than the one listed above and have the same issue.  Interestingly enough if I try to join a Zoom meeting using the browser (any browser) this works successfully.

I have checked the registry to see if there is a Zoom branch in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE etc with a view to deleting that branch in case some old settings are being remembered, but nothing is present.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to further investigate the issue which might be causing this please?

There are no firmware or driver updates available for the machine I am running and also there are no pending Windows Updates to be installed.

Many thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

DashboardLover
Listener

hmmm.. have you tried to check for any security / firewall programs on the computer?

Or probably a hardware firewall?

if you think there's none, try opening zoom without logging in first. Then on the task bar icon, rich click on it > choose settings

on the settings box, click on video > advance

try disabling any graphics acceleration

I have provided some screenshots here for your reference.

Hi - thanks for replying.

Having done some more testing, I've actually found that Zoom crashes even before I login - my Windows 11 PC does have a firewall - but it's actually disabled (I just found out that I disabled it some time ago and never re-enabled it!).  I also have a hardware firewall on my router, however my mobile phone (Android) also has Zoom on it, and connects via WiFi without an issue, so I dont think the hardware firewall is the issue ...

One thing I have found out is that even before I login I can't actually bring the settings menu up from right clicking the taskbar icon - nothing happens and the app just displays the "Zoom quit unexpectedly" dialog box.

Interestingly enough if I login, I can do other things in the app, such as change my status, change the app view to portrait (even though the crash message appears) - but whenever I try to go to the Settings page - nothing happens.

I am doing an uninstall and reinstall on each occasion and can't see any obvious registry entries - so I would have thought the video acceleration options would be whatever the default is set to - but am unable to check without further assistance unfortunately.

Hmmm. I see.

First, for windows machine and android they use different ports on the network this may explain why your android phone can connect without issue.

However, you may try to isolate the issue by going on 4g/cellular data and see if your computer can connect without any issue.

Secondly, you can try these to disable these settings too:

1) Right click on the zoom icon at the task bar and click settings (zoom must be launched preferably before logging in)

DashboardLover_0-1637027198018.png

2) Go to video > advanced

DashboardLover_1-1637027261221.png

3) uncheck optimize video quality with de-noise, and all the hardware accelerations

DashboardLover_2-1637027312217.png

4) Next go to share screen  then advanced 

DashboardLover_3-1637027342520.png

5) Tick the use TCP option, and uncheck the use hardware acceleration

DashboardLover_4-1637027395246.png

6) Close zoom and relogging then try again this time.

Sorry this is the best I could guide you. If this wont work, then I would recommend to use the 32-bit zoom client to see if that works. You can download it at zoom.us/download

DashboardLover_5-1637027554986.png

londonuser60
Listener
I appreciate your assistance - unfortunately I can't get into the Settings section of the Zoom app at all - I've also tried with the 32 bit version of the client and am experiencing the same issue unfortunately.

I am able to connect successfully via the Zoom web client - does this help in diagnostics or does that also use a different method of connection?

I had a look through and can see some errors in the &APPDATA&\Roaming\installer.txt file such as ...

[2668:27812 ] [ ERROR ] [01:19:15.860] c:\jenkins\workspace\Client\Client\Windows\release-64\client\src\install\windows\NoMSIInstaller\ZoomInstallError.cpp(48)::[ErrorOccur] Code:10003 ctx:6 MSG:Failed to pass security check, file not exist System Error Code:2 Ref str:airhost.exe
[2668:27812 ] [ ERROR ] [01:19:15.861] c:\jenkins\workspace\Client\Client\Windows\release-64\client\src\install\windows\NoMSIInstaller\ZoomInstallError.cpp(48)::[ErrorOccur] Code:10003 ctx:6 MSG:Failed to pass security check, file not exist System Error Code:2 Ref str:avcodec-58.dll
[2668:27812 ] [ ERROR ] [01:19:15.861] c:\jenkins\workspace\Client\Client\Windows\release-64\client\src\install\windows\NoMSIInstaller\ZoomInstallError.cpp(48)::[ErrorOccur] Code:10003 ctx:6 MSG:Failed to pass security check, file not exist System Error Code:2 Ref str:avformat-58.dll

This error is repeated for various files ... and I'm not sure why it's occurring as I am logged in with an account with local admin privileges.

Hmmm.. usually this is a security program doing file quarantine or stopping the progress. Do you have other security program installed before or now?

like Mcafee/AVG/AVira/Symantec/Malwarebytes anything similar to that?

But my friend I think this one calls for a zoom representative to help you troubleshoot your machine.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new