cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom crashes while recording meeting on new MacBook M1 Pro

Amy_A
Listener

Hi, I can have a regular zoom meeting with no crashes, however when I turn on recording, the app will crash within 30 minutes. Usually its as a quick as 2 minutes. Please advise.

107 REPLIES 107

No security programs running. I am running software by Rogue Amoeba while using Zoom to record a podcast: Audio Hijack and Loopback. Not sure if those count as AV software, but that's all!

pieterbotes
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Thanks for the feedback.

@andrewsims: Thanks that does not count as AV.  Don't think that should cause this.

@yukarip : Thanks, looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks!

OK, I just asked couple friends to join me on a call and recorded it(locally). It was about an hour, and it did NOT crash! Hope this is now fixed....?? Maybe? 

pieterbotes

Hey @yukarip 

That is great to hear.  Let me know how it goes in the next couple of meetings?

Thanks.

Thanks!

pieterbotes

@yukarip just checking if you maybe had anymore crashes?

Thanks!

Hi @Piererbotes , No, I have since had 2 hour-long recorded zoom meetings hosted by me and both went without a hitch! Thank you very much! 

pieterbotes

@yukarip  Great.  Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks!

Hello - I am regretfully still having this issue occur. I updated to the latest version of Zoom the other day, and about 45 minutes into a meeting I was streaming and recording, it crashed. Has this issue been escalated yet? It is so easy to replicate, there is clearly a massive bug that needs to be addressed. I am extremely disappointed this has not been fixed yet.

I just had the exact same issue. Recording a meeting and it crashed 4 times. After the last crash, it showed as recording and then when the meeting ended, didn't save the entire last hour of the meeting. I lost a ton of work. This has been reported for almost 3 months and there doesn't seem to be a fix yet?

IsoAct
Listener

I've been running into the same problem while sharing a screen and recording locally with my client sessions.  On an M1 Max, have downloaded the specific Silicon Zoom version as linked above (uninstalled previous zoom, restarted first).   Version: 5.9.1 (3506)

Whenever I share a video window (Quicktime, VLC) while recording locally, it seems to crash within minutes (5min30 for this last one).  When recording locally without screen sharing, I haven't had crashes since using the updated Silicon Zoom -- these recordings go anywhere from 20-50min or so.

I'm losing significant functionality for my client sessions by not being able to record while sharing video, please let me know what other steps I can try or information I can share!

Thank you,

- Alex

pieterbotes

@IsoAct Did you previously have the non M1 version installed and then installed the M1 version over it originally?

Thanks!

I can't say for sure, but I did always keep Zoom up-to-date with every release, and I do recall one of the release note mentioning Silicon (since I had already been having issues).   I think the partial fix came from the completely fresh reinstall.

Another  update I suppose --- on m M1 Max, it has been recording meetings fine as long as I never share a video at any point during the meeting.  Just today, on a call with clients, I recorded the first 30min fine.  Then I stopped the recording, being aware of the still-present bug, and shared a video.  All dandy!  Yay!

After stopping the video share, I started up a new recording, and lo and behold, it crashed on me.  Sharing while recording is quickly becoming a necessity for my professional calls, and I would much rather not need to find a new software.  Please let me know if there are any additional options I can try.

I do not screenshare very often, so at least for me, this is not related to the screenshare setting on Zoom.

andrewsims
Listener

Is Zoom looking into this issue on the backend? Obviously the workaround here is not an ideal situation for the general public and clearly there's a real issue going on

MarkChappell
Listener

I am also having this issue on the M1 MacBook Pro. As soon as I record (saving to local disk), Zoom crashes. I have re-installed Zoom, cleared my CPU from being too 'busy'. This is a real issue for my work, why hasn't this been sorted yet?

Does anyone have a workaround? 

Honestly. This is getting ridiculous. I have to stay home from the office on days I record interviews because If I do it on my M1 Pro laptop and not my home desktop, it crashes. Please get this resolved and not in a way that use require users as test dummys. Just fix the problem. Its been going on for months now

Not that it helps, I have not found any work around for my situation.  I'm having to use an older laptop specifically for sessions that involve screen share recordings (which is minimum once a week).

fonmarc
Listener

This is still happening on version 5.9.3. Yesterday I had a random crash after recording for 1:08h. Very annoying.

pieterbotes

Can you try to disable "Use hardware acceleration for receiving video" in the Zoom Preferences.  Video --> Advanced --> "Use hardware acceleration for receiving video".

Thanks!

Tried it out, and it crashed even sooner --- in roughly 3min of sharing video while recording.  😞  Attached crash report.

pieterbotes

Can you confirm the version number that is showing when you go to Help --> About on the Zoom client?

Thanks!

Sure!  As you'll see in the log, it's this one:

Version: 5.9.1 (3506)

I see that there's a new update, 5.9.3 (4239), so I'll install that now and try it for this coming work week.

pieterbotes

If that doesn't solve it, let me know so we can look at next steps.

Thanks!

Crashed while recording to computer again during my first session since recent update, and this time without having shared a video.  Version 5.9.3 (4239), and log report attached below.

I am regrettably looking for an alternative service at this point, but I'm still hopeful for a solution!

Thanks

pieterbotes

Hi @IsoAct 

Let's open up a ticket for this as we will need to complete some steps which is better done over a support ticket.  Can you please go to this site below and get the ticket opened and let me know when that is done so that I can speak to the support agent and tell them what we've done so far.  Submit a request – Zoom Support

Thanks!

Ticket opened!   #13594377

Thanks again

pieterbotes

Thanks.  I'm updating that case now with the notes from here.

Thanks!

IsoAct
Listener

I'll try on my end later this week and get back.  Thanks!

IsoAct
Listener

For those running into similar problems, it appears that mine have been resolved, though I haven't put it through heavy stress loads yet.

The solution for me was to go into the System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Screen Recording, and I toggled off and back on the option for Zoom.  No crashes since, so fingers crossed

IsoAct
Listener

Hey again,

I cannot seem to find where my thread went in this conversation, so I'll append here.  I just had another crash mid client meeting while recording, and I didn't even get a log report.  This was after 1 week of smooth running.  I was on 5.9.3 and saw just now there is an update for 5.9.6, so hopefully that will fix future crashes with clients.

Update:  Crashed again after updating to 5.9.6 (4993) twice mid session while just recording to computer (no screen sharing), both times without a crash report.  Opening a new ticket!

jsnell
Listener

Adding my report here. Since switching to Apple Silicon earlier this month, Zoom has crashed a half-dozen times during a session, while recording. No weird software like antivirus, video NOT turned on, but recording locally. This never, ever, ever happened before during hundreds of hours of Zoom sessions on Intel, so this seems like an Apple Silicon/Zoom issue. The crash is immediate, no warning, no error dialog--Zoom just crashes hard and is gone.

YaBoiB

Hello All, 
My name is Brandon. Peter asked me to jump in here and assist with this issue for the M1s. May I ask if any of you are experiencing this issue with cloud recording, or is it just local recording, and is it consistent or persistent where screen sharing and recording at the same time duplicates the issue?  I have added a document to this thread on how to enable logging for the Zoom client. These are the logs that I will need to determine where the issue is. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Hello,

This happens for me while recording locally and streaming to YouTube (Maybe it's one or the other causing it, I cannot tell if it's only while doing both of these at the same time). I rarely screen share, nor do i ever use the cloud recording feature, so that's not part of the issue on my end

pieterbotes

Hi Andrew

If you can, please follow the steps for enabling the logging so we can capture this when it happens again.

Thanks.

Thanks!

Sorry to be stubborn, but I'm not doing that. I'm running the Intel version of the app to avoid this crash. (This crash we're all talking about only occurs on the Silicon build.) I can't risk my Zoom crashing -- I'm using it to record a podcast for work. It is clear there is an issue and Zoom should be fixing it on their own, without asking their customers to risk more crashes.

YaBoiB

Hello @andrewsims

This is not a bug that we can tell at this time because a bug would affect all users on the M1 and not just a handful of users. When an issue only affects a limited amount of users we must request logging so that we can review the code and determine the issue. But, it is fine. I can work with some other users that are experiencing this issue and see what we can find to isolate this issue and I can report back here with the results. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hi Brandon,

For what it's worth, you said it's happening to 'users on the M1' but I believe this is only happening on M1 Pro and M1 Max Macs. 

I had a baseline M1 Mac for a year and there were no issues. It was only after upgrading to a M1 Max in October, that that's when the issues began.

Some in this thread have said that they're on a M1, but I assume they're actually on a M1 Pro or Max. It's not particularly easy to realize which chip you're actually on if you're not a nerdy Mac user. You'll notice that these issues only started after the M1 Pro/Max were released last October

YaBoiB

Hello @andrewsims

From my perspective, this looks like it is only affecting a handful of users at this point. That said, there may not be a lot of M1 users that are using Zoom, so I cannot assume that this is not an issue. If you can put together a support ticket and provide me with that ticket number, I can work with the backend team to see if this is truly a bug or a one-off issue that we need to isolate. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion