Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom clients 5.10.0 - 5.10.4 on Linux (Pop!_OS 22.04) crashing at startup

marile
Listener

Hello!

Context

• distro: Pop!_OS 22.04
    • Running kernels (on either of them the issue exists)
      • 5.16.19-76051619-generic 
      • 5.17.5-76051705-generic
  • Having an Nvidia GPU, having Nvidia drivers installed with the package:
    • system76-driver-nvidia 20.04.50~1650301328~22.04~ab5bdf1

Issues

Found two issues with all 5.10.x clients, up to the currenly available one, that is 5.10.4:

1. They either crash at startup, and the only option is to run it using zoom --disable-gpu-sandbox 
  2. They run (with that flag), but they hang while joining a meeting.

Currently, I was able to have it running again by downgrading to 5.9.6.

Btw, the documentation (such as Release notes for Linux page) should also inform users how to downgrade in such cases, instead of having to keep searching for an answer in the wild or this community (I used wget https://zoom.us/client/5.9.6.2225/zoom_amd64.deb -O zoom_amd64_5.9.6.2225.deb).

Any advice? Next 5.10.(.5?) release would solve this?

Thanks,

Marius

13 REPLIES 13

cce
Listener

I have exactly these issues, although I'm not using nvdia for my display (video is attached to Intel).

$ inxi -SMAG
System:
  Host: cantor Kernel: 5.15.0-27-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: GNOME 42.0
    Distro: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Compulab product: Airtop3 v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Compulab model: SBC-ATCFL v: 1.2 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: ATOP3.PRD.0.30.7 date: 12/28/2020
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER] driver: nouveau v: kernel
  Device-3: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 type: USB
    driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics P630 (CFL GT2)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 22.0.1
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-3: GN Netcom Jabra Link 370 type: USB
    driver: jabra,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
  Device-4: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 type: USB
    driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-27-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.20 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes

Hi @cce !
I found your post here. Indeed, 5.9.6 seems the most stable for now on Linux.

Now, just out of curiosity, how did you find ver. 5.10.6.2943 while the latest version - at the time of this writing, ofc - for Ubuntu in Download Center is 5.10.4.2845 😊
Thanks!

I obtained it from the download center.  I picked Ubuntu as well.  So, they must have downgraded already.

thewmo
Listener

I have these same issues after upgrading Pop! to 22.04. One potential workaround is to use the Flatpak build of Zoom available through the Pop Shop - however, for me at least, those builds broke integration with my browser (the ability to launch zoommtg:// links) which renders Zoom basically useless for me. Really hoping for a fix here.

markdueck
Listener

This seems to be related to kernel versions as I have 2 almost identical laptops, one running on kernel 5.13 on zoom 5.10.0 without issues.  I don't want to upgrade as I'm not sure if it will work.  Next laptop has kernel 5.16.9 where zoom crashes exactly as described.

pchest
Listener

I'm experiencing the same issue described by the OP, with the same operating system, kernel, and gpu.

tpelletier-blue
Listener

I'm having the same issue as well. If I reboot into using Intel drivers, Zoom works, but I loose the use of my external monitor, and it's a pain restarting every time I have to attend a meeting.

mrzenwiz
Listener

I have the same problem on Xubuntu 22.04 with an nvidia video card, but zoom never starts - it comes up with a window outline and crashes before anything else happens. I tried going back to zoom 5.9.6.2225, but winse the latest update from Canonical, that one also crashes on startup.  I don't want to have to buy zoom to get support, though that may be a necessary evil. It's bad enough they don't support their own products, even when free.

Since. not winse... fat fingers...

thewmo
Listener

I installed 5.10.6 this morning and the problem seems to be fixed, at least for me.

5.10.6 still crashes for me, Ubuntu 22.04 - Kernel 5.15.0

OK.. spoke a little soon.. 

upgrading to latest kernel (5.15.0-33) with latest nvidia drivers (510-73.05-0ubuntu0.22.04.1) and a full reboot now starts up zoom (5.10.6) fine.

marile
Listener

Zoom client 5.10.6 (3192) - recently released - seems to work fine. 👍

Still on Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS obviously, and running 5.17.5-76051705-generic, the latest kernel that's currently available at the time of this writing.

I noticed a pro and a cons on this release though:

• The 👍 being: the background blur option finally looks great on Linux (same as in MacOS and Windows).
    At least if you're not in a call and just play with it in Settings > Virtual Background.
  • The 👎 being: it seemed that video stops working in you're in a call and have this feature is enabled.
    In the past it used to work "fine", but with kinda poor results: edge detection was weak.
    While you're in the call you can still go to that setting, disable it and your video would run again.

Anyway, good to have something back and working.

And good that we have this community, and help each other. 
Otherwise, it looks like no Zoom reps are monitoring such threads.

I guess the alternative would have been to raise a ticket since I a "licensed user".