cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom client suddenly choppy test audio sound on Linux Fedora 35

despdx
Attendee

Today, I connected to my Monday meeting and audio was bad.  It sounds like the audio is briefly cutting out 20 times per second.  Works fine from web-browser Zoom client on Firefox, but the native Zoom client has this problem for all audio.  The same affect is heard when playing the test tone outside of any meeting.  I have an mp3 recording, but I cannot attach here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

despdx
Attendee

I opened a ticket with Zoom about this.  They helped me find a workaround, which was to make manual change in the Zoom settings file (~/.config/zoomus.conf: system.audio.type=alsa (default is 'default')).  They also pointed me to something useful: the release notes for the Linux version.  This is a bug, so, when it gets fixed, I hope to be able to reset it to the default value, since ALSA is deprecated.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

despdx
Attendee

I opened a ticket with Zoom about this.  They helped me find a workaround, which was to make manual change in the Zoom settings file (~/.config/zoomus.conf: system.audio.type=alsa (default is 'default')).  They also pointed me to something useful: the release notes for the Linux version.  This is a bug, so, when it gets fixed, I hope to be able to reset it to the default value, since ALSA is deprecated.

Yeah, that worked for about 2 weeks.  The new version of Zoom (5.9.6 (2225)) doesn't work with the setting above.  I set the value back to 'default', and the sound works again.  Ugh.  What a pain.