cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom camera flashing and glitching after update

erihar16
Attendee

I updated my Zoom on my Mac and started having my camera flash, glitch, go black and white, funky colors, reflect my screen during my Zoom calls when not screen sharing. 

I DO NOT have an external camera connected. 

I have never had these problems with Zoom before. When I open photo booth or other apps that use my camera  I do not have this problem. I have restarted my computer and redownloaded Zoom. Both have not worked. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone!

I understand that some users are having an issue with their camera while using Zoom.

Our Engineering team has been alerted of this issue and this issue should be fixed in 5.13.5 version of Zoom desktop client which was released this week. You may follow the steps here on how you can update your Zoom app Upgrading Zoom to the latest version – Zoom Support. As an additional step, I would suggest to completely uninstall Zoom (to remove bad app cache) , reboot device, and then reinstall to the latest version .

They have reproduced the issue and found out the root cause, the video de-noise function goes wrong when the CPU usage is high on some computers with low-performance CPUs. If your Zoom desktop client version is currently in 5.13.4, you may follow the workaround below to fix the issue.

As a workaround, disabling video de-noise in the advanced video settings on your Zoom desktop client (pic1:Windows, pic2:Mac) can avoid the issue. 

CarlaA_0-1674154371328.png

CarlaA_1-1674154629872.png

I hope this helps!

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

62 REPLIES 62

Click the 'Advanced' button at the bottom of the screen then you'll see the option to turn off.

Just click the advanced

My homescreen doesn't look like that and doesn't have a settings icon

My profile picture has no settings option. How do I get to the settings that you are talking about?

Hi @dsmithfl! Have you tried uninstalling/rebooting your device/reinstalling Zoom? That should do the trick!

To answer your question, in your Zoom application top navigation you will see a Home icon. Please select this icon and then you will find a small gear icon in the top right hand corner. That is your settings icon 🙂

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.25.37 AM.png

Hope this helps! 

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team

Hello,

I have done all the suggested workarounds that you listed above on this issue, but it continues to persist.  The only thing that works to prevent this from happening to me is going back to a previous update (5:12.9).  If I do any of the upgrades released in January 2023 the video issues happen.  The latest version released on 1/18/23 did not resolve the issue.  As I'm signing into more Zoom meetings with others, the same continues to be an issue for them as well.  Are they still working to resolve this?  

Hey, I found that this worked for me. Maybe it's helpful.

On Windows 10 go to Camera App, go to settings and change Flicker Reduction option. The options may be different per computer but I changed mine from 50 Hz to 60 Hz and that fixed the issue.

caninetiger_0-1675971367195.png

Hope this helps

caninetiger_1-1675971367133.png

Caninetiger,

Thank you for that great suggestion! Thankfully my camera issue didn't manifest today. However many of the staff have been experiencing this issue also. Should it return I will definitely try your advice.

many thanks! 🙂

Same problems listed-- tried turning camera off and on, left Zoom and rejoined, rebooted PC--but no fixes. As many have mentioned we do not all have the same settings options available to us. I access Zoom to teach online via a large campus. It is difficult as the instructor to have this distraction going on while speaking with students or to have to turn off my camera. I can say that yes limited CPU may be an issue. Please correct soon!

I wonder how many folks went out and bought a new camera. I almost did.

Well, I did all the things, and my test video has already improved. I also dumbed down ALL the video settings to minimum quality, now I'm just waiting for my meeting host to turn my video back on. Might be a while.

I am happy to report I have had no further problems with video glitching since turning off denoise, "touch up my appearance", hardware acceleration, and backgrounds.

the only person in my recurring meeting it hasn't worked for is the one who did not try it. 

I have done this and it is still creating an issue! 

What else can you suggest please?

Thank you 

Alison 

cathygware
Listener

Both the initial fix and the reinstall worked for me. Thank you

Y_C
Listener

It's annoying it's just randomly glitching and making me repeat what ever i was doing before it gliched. 

LaineKPenney
Listener

We also found that unchecking "HD" in video settings helped. My guess is that it reduces more CPU usage.

caninetiger
Listener

I tried CarlaA's method (The accepted Solution) and that didn't work for me. However, I tried a different method and that did work.

On Windows 10 go to Camera App, go to settings and change Flicker Reduction option. The options may be different per computer but I changed mine from 50 Hz to 60 Hz and that fixed the issue.

caninetiger_0-1675287271889.png

Hope this helps someone 🙂

Thank you for providing an alternate fix! Appreciate your contribution. 

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team

nazarka92
Listener

Hello all,

I also had that issue, which a few days later got fixed by zoom, I suppose. However, after an update a few days ago, it's happening again. Is it going to happen after each update? Is still the same solution applicable?

Thank you

TabbyGoblin
Listener

Same Issue. Zoom just updated on my windows 10 computer prior to joining a meeting today. Annoying that I could not delay the update until after my meeting.

Video started flashing and glitching. Top of the my video feed was flashing through all the attendees. The rest of my feed to the meeting was strobing, freezing, and doing random color patterns.  The Zoom version that my computer updated to is version 5.13.11.

ZoomUser19-23
Listener

What I did is to install the previous versions. The update messes up with my camera and it is so annoying. The latest update hasn't fixed the issue yet.

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @nazarka92 @TabbyGoblin @ZoomUser19-23 , thank you for continuing to update this thread. 

Can you please completely uninstall your Zoom app, reboot your device (to remove any bad app cache- very important), and reinstall the latest version (64bit if using Windows).

Reference: Camera flashing and glitching after update 

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team

rrbolin
Listener

Hello,

I have tried all of the suggestions listed here and I am on Version 5.14.7.  I am using a Logitech C920 webcam, that used to work perfectly about a year ago.  There is no glitching using the C920 with the Camera app on my Windows 10 workstation.  I've tried switching the USB ports it is plugged into with no success.  I've switched the Flicker Reduction to 50 Hz in the Camera app from another suggestion online with no success either.  The flickering does not happen when I use my integrated laptop camera, even when I switch it mid-meeting.  I've updated the drivers on the Logitech C920 webcam, removed it and reinstalled it, but it seems like an issue between the C920 and the Zoom software.

Is there any other fix possible?

Thank you.

Is there anything else that