cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom asking new participants for passcode partway into a meeting

eatsruns
Listener

I set up a meeting with my manager as host and myself as co-host as I due to a hospital appointment was worried I wouldn't make it in time for the start. In the end I made it in good time but my manager arrived after the meeting start time. Three of us were the meeting when he joined. After that no one came in and when I checked my phone, people were telling me it was prompting them for the passcode. I had set the meeting up without the requirement for a passcode - but it suddenly started asking for one. The only thing I can think is that when he joined the meeting something in his settings overrode the settings I had chosen for the meeting. Does this sound at all right?  How can I avoid this in future? It was a hybrid meeting so it took me a while to realise what was happening as I needed to manage people who were physically present as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @eatsruns,

If you set up the meeting with your manager as host... was that done with Scheduling Privilege?  Or did you set up the meeting and give your manager your Host Key?  Those are really the only ways I can think of.

If you set up the meeting with Scheduling Privilege, then I'm thinking you're correct... his settings would have overridden your settings.  The host and anyone on the same organizational account can get in without the passcode.  Anyone on outside accounts would require the passcode, so likely it was there the whole time.

I'd recommend locating the meeting (on the web interface, log in, select Meetings on the left, and select the Previous tab) and look to see if it now has a Passcode in it.  I'd assume there is - now.  Not sure how that would change, unless you're on an account where an Admin might have changed the overall setting to require a passcode.  So it's more likely it was there all the time, according to your manager's settings.

Note that you do have to have one of the following security measures in place:

• Passcode
  • Waiting Room
  • Authentication (must be logged into Zoom to enter)

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @eatsruns,

If you set up the meeting with your manager as host... was that done with Scheduling Privilege?  Or did you set up the meeting and give your manager your Host Key?  Those are really the only ways I can think of.

If you set up the meeting with Scheduling Privilege, then I'm thinking you're correct... his settings would have overridden your settings.  The host and anyone on the same organizational account can get in without the passcode.  Anyone on outside accounts would require the passcode, so likely it was there the whole time.

I'd recommend locating the meeting (on the web interface, log in, select Meetings on the left, and select the Previous tab) and look to see if it now has a Passcode in it.  I'd assume there is - now.  Not sure how that would change, unless you're on an account where an Admin might have changed the overall setting to require a passcode.  So it's more likely it was there all the time, according to your manager's settings.

Note that you do have to have one of the following security measures in place:

• Passcode
  • Waiting Room
  • Authentication (must be logged into Zoom to enter)

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Thanks I set it up with a waiting room and no passcode. The two other people who managed to get in were not on our organisational account.  I managed to go in during the meeting and untick the passcode box. So it's still unticked now. But I've checked another past meeting of his and there is a passcode on that one too....

As I was the one who set up the meeting, I feel like the meeting settings I chose should have taken priority!

I've also found this in my Zoom settings:

Embed passcode in invite link for one-click join

Meeting passcode will be encrypted and included in the invite link to allow participants to join with just one click without having to enter the passcode.

This was selected and people were trying to join by clicking the link - so why wasn't it working?

I've had the same problem and can't figure it out.  A number of times now I've attempted to attend  a meeting that supposedly requires no passcode, but I can't get in without one, although most (but not all, I think) other participants can.  I'm unable to enter either through the browser or within my desktop version of zoom.  Yesterday I had to wait 30 minutes before the host (who was understandably busy running the event) realized one other person and I were stuck outside before she sent us the passcode and let us in.  I've had this problem with events run by at least three different organizations.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled zoom but the problem persists.  I believe zoom changed their defaults regarding passcodes a few months ago, and I think that's about how long I've been having this trouble (it always used to work perfectly fine).   What is going on here and what can I do about it?  Is there a bug with the new default? Please help, I'm missing valuable time in important meetings and causing stress for the hosts.  Thank you. 

ok