cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom UI very slow while camera is in use

Trky
Listener

Recently my workplace has been running into an issue with Zoom when our webcam is streaming its picture on the screen. Zoom will be slow to respond to any clicks such as muting, minimizing, maximizing windows, moving the window around, etc. The network connection seems normal, talking to people and camera movement seem to work normally. Resource Manager shows around 60%-70% usage of CPU / RAM during a meeting and the SSD has plenty of space available.

What's odd is nothing else seems to run slow during this time, only Zoom. Microsoft Teams does not experience this issue.

I have tried the following:

1. Updating windows to the newest version, reinstalling zoom
2. Rolling back windows updates and graphics drivers to the last known working version
3. Changing the webcam from a Logitech Brio to a Logitech 960
4. Changing the PC to a different PC (we have two boardrooms it's happening to both)
5. Tried both 32 bit and 64 bit installs
6. Ensured Logitech webcam software was up to date and only running at 720p - even on a fresh PC with no software installed it runs the same
7. Lowered the resolution of the TV from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080

None of these changes have made any discernable difference. I am thinking I could try and update the software of the TV but that doesn't make sense as it is only Zoom having this issue.

Anyone else having similar issues?

6 REPLIES 6

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello,
My name is Brandon. Thanks for joining the Zoom Community! When you say "streaming," are you talking about streaming to Facebook, YouTube, or just streaming your video through the Logi? 

Question: Do you have your settings set to "Group HD" enabled when launching your meeting client to perform these tests? 

Can you also send me your upload and download speeds and what type of connection you are connected to (wired, wifi)?

I am assuming that this is not a Zoom Room setup, but can you confirm that for me, please? 

You could remove your %appdata% folder (note you will lose all settings and data from the client) and then reinstall the meeting client. If this solves the issue, this would tell me that you may have had some corrupted data in that folder. 

We may want to issue a support ticket on this issue and allow our team to look into your meeting data further to isolate where this issue may be stemming from. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

harry2096
Listener

Exact same problem here, never had this problem before.  UI reacts most of the time after 2-5 seconds.  Very annoying. Sometimes UI reacts normal.  CPU usage is 1%-3%. 

I deleted all of Zoom as you suggested,  also deleted browser extension. 
Very PC wih lots of memory, fast GPU .
Windows 10, latest updates. 
Zoom 64 bits , 5.9.3. (3169)

any suggestion?

Skober
Listener

same problem here. Zoom reacts very slowly with a 3-5 seconds delay, this is very annoying. windows 11, HP Zbook with sufficient CPU, RAM etc. Any solutions to this problem?

harry2096
Listener

I think i found a possible solution for the slow unresponsive UI. 

Tried several setting and it seems the slow UI has to do with the [Video Rendering Method

When i change it from  'auto'  to 'Direct3D'  the UI is responsive as it was. 

It seems the  'auto' method choose the wrong video rendering method and setting it manually is better. 

Hope this helps you.

harry2096_0-1652625824721.jpeg

thanks a lot, I will try it out tomorrow

Thank you, this is still an issue in 2023. Changing the rendering method from Auto to Direct 3D9 helps out. Direct 3D11 has same issues however. I think the issue is more with the USB bus over saturation. I am using a USB input into an Intel NUC as a webcam interface and other USB functions such as mouse/keyboard are laggy. As soon a video in zoom is stopped everything goes back to normal. What is interesting is I can take the same USB cable and plug it into a laptop and everything is fine on that laptop. I'm suspecting it has to do with some bus or bandwidth limitation on the USB ports on the computer I'm attempting to use. Have an 11th gen I7-1165G7, 32GB ram. CPU/Mem utilization is 15% however there are no performance metrics for USB or IO busses.

Still looking into a solution but it appears to be a USB bus or other bus oversaturation issue.