cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Meetings - Pro Tip #2: ✋🏼 Raise hand for informal questions

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

We likely all know and use the Raise Hand feature to take informal polls or to signify to the host or presenter that you have a question, but this Pro Tip will detail how to use Raise Hand in a slightly different way. 

In our own weekly team meetings, a fun question is posed to all and we each provide our answer. These questions range from “What is your current favorite binge-worthy show?” to “What is the best advice you’ve ever received?”, all as a team-building exercise. Even with a small team, it was always difficult to determine who had and had not yet answered the question. Thus, we instituted the Hands-Up approach. 

After the question is posed, everyone in attendance raises their digital hand, which is found in the reactions-button.png Reactions button on the desktop and web client (see our Support article for how to enable this feature for your meetings, as well as how to raise your hand on the mobile apps). As each participant provides their answer to the question, they lower their hand and choose the next person to answer. This method accomplishes 2 things for the team: 

1. The person choosing the next responder knows exactly who has and has not answered. 
  2. Those with their hand still raised (and thus have not answered) are easily visible, whether in Speaker or Gallery view, as participants with their hand raised are brought to the top of the videos. 

This speeds up the process, as each respondent takes less time choosing the next respondent, as well as ensuring that everyone responds. 

-- 

Do you have other interesting uses of the Raise Hand or other meeting reactions? Share them in the replies below! 

7 REPLIES 7

Bri
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Yet another amazing tip, @Bort ! It's truly been a game-changer in our meetings 😎

Bri
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

gacha-fan-kid-
Listener

how do we create a meeting

mcr
Listener

our host said he cannot see raised hands, and raised hands do not move to the top of his computer (macbook) s

creen.  Others in the group see this happen on their devices.  How can the host enable this feature?  

Bort

Hi @mcr 

Not sure what would cause them to not see any raised hands, but I would suggest ensuring they are on the most up-to-date version of Zoom for their Macbook. If Raised Hands is enabled for the meeting, everyone should be able to see them, not just the host. 

Riaz
Listener

Nice idea 

USSOLAR
Listener

If anyone knows how to reach Bort in the Community, would you please try to help me reconnect. I sent him corrupted files of a zoom interview with Professor Chomsky and the files were corrupted. He had me send the files and a few weeks ago he said he would try to restore them. But now I can't get connected. Is there any way to use other communication than the community chat?

I really would appreciate some help or if someone knows how to reach him.

Many thanks

SarahX
Listener

This is a great tip! I feel like this could work really well for social meetings, especially for icebreaker type questions. I am always trying to remember who has already spoken and I live in fear of leaving someone out!