cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom - How to tell what I am sharing

jflatto
Listener

I am running the licensed version of Zoom in the classroom.  I have a dual monitor set up.  My primary use to is to record the lectures and the computer screen so students can review the class later.  There may be some class periods where there are no students connected to Zoom because they made it to class.  I am using one screen as my primary screen where I am presenting my material (e.g., PowerPoints) to the student.  My second monitor is so I can monitor what Zoom is doing as well as any students who may be connected via Zoom.  

Start my class, have Zoom set to record and save to my computer when I end the meeting. First class, forget to share the screen so I didn’t record my shared screen and didn’t realize it until I looked at the recording later.  😯  I do realize that the status bar will show if I am sharing but it is easy for me to miss that as I get into my lecture and not paying attention to the status bar.  Oops.  Is there a way or setting on Zoom that can display on my second monitor what is actually being shown to individuals connected to Zoom?  This would include who is connected to Zoom plus what is being shared/recorded? 

My inelegant solution is to have a note that reminds me to turn sharing on but looking for an elegant method inside of Zoom. 🤔

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

beardbrad
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

jflatto,

We don't have exactly the feature you've described here, where you can see a second view that shows what attendees are seeing, but there are a few things that may make it easy to know what you're sharing.

First, there is a dual monitor setting in Zoom. This will allow one screen to have the content you are sharing while the other will maintain a window of your Zoom instance with gallery/speaker view and chat. Dual Monitors in Zoom 

Additionally, if you click in the top right of your client (where your initials or profile picture are) and click Settings > Share Screen > Advanced you will see the option to have a green border around the content you are sharing. This will ensure that you know your screen is being shared (in addition to the status bar).

Lastly, if you'd like to request that specific feature please submit it here: Submit a feature request 

If this helped you, please mark it as a solution so it may help others.

Thanks,

Brad

View solution in original post

beardbrad

Dual monitor is a global setting on the application that will carry over from meeting to meeting. 

Brad

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

beardbrad

jflatto,

We don't have exactly the feature you've described here, where you can see a second view that shows what attendees are seeing, but there are a few things that may make it easy to know what you're sharing.

First, there is a dual monitor setting in Zoom. This will allow one screen to have the content you are sharing while the other will maintain a window of your Zoom instance with gallery/speaker view and chat. Dual Monitors in Zoom 

Additionally, if you click in the top right of your client (where your initials or profile picture are) and click Settings > Share Screen > Advanced you will see the option to have a green border around the content you are sharing. This will ensure that you know your screen is being shared (in addition to the status bar).

Lastly, if you'd like to request that specific feature please submit it here: Submit a feature request 

If this helped you, please mark it as a solution so it may help others.

Thanks,

Brad

Thank you for the solution. I have changed my settings for the next meeting. The last meeting I facilitated, the video stopped playing  for the other participants even though it was still running on my 2nd monitor. So, this will be nice to know if something like that goes wrong again, as with the old settings, I have no clue on what the other participants are really seeing. 

jflatto
Listener

Thank you Brad.  I will need to check my settings.  Is the dual monitor setting a global setting or will I need to set it for each of my scheduled Zoom meetings?

beardbrad

Dual monitor is a global setting on the application that will carry over from meeting to meeting. 

Brad

jflatto
Listener

Thank you.