cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Group Call Quality : Cameras Decreased to less than 720

JoeOblivion
Listener

I have a pro subscription. I host a monthly podcast using zoom. I use virtual camera from OBS to pipe the show into zoom. I capture the cameras of my guests from zoom (since we don't have NDI yet - but thats a different matter to moan about)

I note a SIGNIFICANT decrease in quality. I did a search, and found the following article.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207347086-Using-Group-HD-video

I have enabled HD Group calls in all the settings, so i should be getting 720p in the group call, but what I actually get is a grainy pixelated mess. I guess you could call it "standard video" This means that I have degraded webcam quality for my participants on the live stream, as well as a terrible virtual camera to show the guests the content from the show (OBS virtual camera).

I'm pretty annoyed that Zoom would downgrade the quality of the service I pay for like this, and support could not help me. 

Anyone got any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer

HD 720p doesn't come with a Pro account by default. This started when the pandemic began, due to massive upswing of users joining the Zoom network. 

Although Zoom is not turning-on 720p on Pro accounts on day one, any Pro account user can submit a support request to enable 720p and they should receive it without issue.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

JoeOblivion
Listener

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did contact support and it seems to have been fixed now, but it certainly wasn't running that badly before. I'll test again tomorrow and close the ticket. Service was great. 

ZoomTestKitchen

Glad to hear things are better, now. I have had nothing but great experiences with Zoom support.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

Thank you both. I recently contacted support and asked that they turn on Group HD (720) for my Pro account. They did so, THEN I noticed the cryptic message at the top of the Group HD support page, which Joe mentioned above. I now have some hope and I will be testing this week. Similar to Joe, I use ECAMM and everything is presented through the virtual webcam (not by screen share). Best wishes, -Dan

JoeOblivion
Listener

OK, so its happened again - when 3 or more participants are in the call, quality drops from 720 to 360. Contacted support who claim nothing changed. Waiting for news.