cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Desktop Icon Keeps Reappearing After Deletion

SevenDaysOfFire
Listener

So like the title states, I've got Zoom installed on my work laptop, but I keep my desktop as icon-free as possible.  Every time I delete the Zoom icon however, it's inevitably back on my desktop within a day or two.

I've tried everything I can think of.  There's no setting within Zoom I can find to stop auto updates, Zoom isn't a startup app, it's not an icon on the Public or Default desktops, and my laptop isn't being affected by any GPO that would cause icons to reappear.

It's not the most critical issue because I can just delete the icon again, but it is incredibly frustrating seeing it again when I login the day after deleting it..

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SevenDaysOfFire
Listener

I've since found that in my situation, as this is a work laptop, application updates and a forced desktop icon were being pushed from the monitoring/remote assistance system we install on all the computers in the enterprise.  Had nothing to do with the Zoom application itself, and as I'm an admin in that system I simply removed my computer from the policy; Problem Solved! 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

M010101
Listener

I don't have a solution either.  I have the same problem, I think it is due to the zoom x64 installer running at startup every time I boot.  I have not found a way to fix the installation running every time I start up my computer.  

I arrived just to post the same exact issue.  Zoom is reinstalling itself every startup, resulting in the desktop icon being restored and Zoom delaying the use of their software and my computer.  

kaebischr
Listener

This needs to be fixed.  I have gone down a long rabbit hole and cannot fix it through other methods.  It is related to Chrome and chrome_proxy.

ericnobody44444
Listener

I have been having the same issue. I have a similar issue with FireFox, and Adobe acrobat. I have complained in similar forums but the DEVs don't listen or seem like they care. I would really appreciate a simple checkbox. that is literally all they would have to do. I would keep it set to update automatically, and I wouldn't have to worry about it since I already "unchecked" the box that indicates a desktop icon. but o well.

SevenDaysOfFire
Listener

I've since found that in my situation, as this is a work laptop, application updates and a forced desktop icon were being pushed from the monitoring/remote assistance system we install on all the computers in the enterprise.  Had nothing to do with the Zoom application itself, and as I'm an admin in that system I simply removed my computer from the policy; Problem Solved! 

How did you do this? I am at a loss as I can not figure out how to fix this dang issue.

I'm an IT Admin for my company and oversee the management and deployment of the Remote Desktop and Monitoring software we use on all of our machines, so I simply removed the Zoom application installation from the startup scripts applied to my specific computer.