cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Debian Linux package requires ibus even on KDE and XFCE (Kubuntu and Xubuntu)

rxtx
Listener

The Zoom Debian Linux package is requiring ibus. But ibus is part of GNOME desktop.

So installing zoom_amd64.deb under KDE Plasma breaks keyboard support due to ibus and related dependencies which do not work under KDE.

Thus hereby a request to please remove ibus from required dependencies in zoom_amd64.deb.

$ cat ./zoom/DEBIAN/control 
Package: zoom
Version: 5.10.7.3311
License: see https://www.zoom.us/
Vendor: Zoom Video Communications, Inc.
Architecture: amd64
Maintainer: Zoom Linux Team <https://support.zoom.us>
Installed-Size: 468772
Depends: libxcb-keysyms1, libglib2.0-0, libxcb-shape0, libxcb-shm0, libxcb-xfixes0, libxcb-randr0,
libxcb-image0, libfontconfig1, libgl1-mesa-glx, libegl1-mesa, libxi6, libsm6, libxrender1, libpulse0,
libxcomposite1, libxslt1.1, libsqlite3-0, libxcb-xtest0, libdbus-1-3, libxtst6, ibus, libxcb-xinerama0,
libxkbcommon-x11-0, desktop-file-utils, libfreetype6 (>= 2.6)
. . .

3 REPLIES 3

football
Listener

Yep, I am doing a new install of Zoom and suddenly get dependencies on ibus, libegl1-mesa, libxcb, python3-ibus, ibus-gtk and a few others. I am  using a few month old Linux distro so there should be NO reason Zoom won't install. I don't need ibus, it will ruin my setup. This is just crazy. Bye bye Zoom, hello jitsi, and it's free too.

When a multi-billion dollar goliath like Zoom hires sub-par developers to package their software, arguably the most important job in a software firm - they deserve to fail! I read the Support forums on this same topic and the absolute failure of support staff to understand the weight of this problem was unbelievable. The Debian Maintainers of ibus made posts to try and help out, but Zoom staff ignored them. I consider this a massive failure from Zoom and a smack in the face for Linux users everywhere. See ya later Zoom!

As a temporary workaround, you can create a dummy ibus package with equivs. It worked for me.

merecat
Listener

I second that. My system uses FCITX5 for input. There is absolutely no reason why iBus should even exist on my system. Zoom should just trust that my OS has whatever it needs in place to provide keyboard input. Period. The dependency is an unjustified nuisance.