Did you mean: 

Zoom Crashing - During Meeting

nater
Listener

Computer:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro17,1

Chip: Apple M1

Total Number of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)

Memory: 16 GB

System Firmware Version: 7429.41.5

OS Loader Version: 7429.41.5

Zoom:

Version: 5.8.6 (2879) [Apple Silicon version]

Only happens when screen is mirrored through usb hub to external monitor. Using external camera and microphone. Have uninstalled/reinstalled zoom client, checked for all updates on zoom and Mac, turned on/off hardware acceleration on video settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nater
Listener

The issue for was resolved by changing a config setting for my usb microphone interface. My Focusrite Solo Gen 3 was set to sample at 192 khz. Changing it to 48 khz fixed the issue.

Best I can guess, 192 khz was too much for the zoom client to deal with. When it got overwhelmed, it was switching back to the onboard Mac microphone. When that happens, zoom apparently switches the camera to onboard Mac camera at same time.

With the laptop lid closed, it just crashed zoom altogether. With the lid open, my zoom window would change from my extended monitor to the laptop, and then back again.

Long story short, setting external audio interface to 48 khz eliminates that behavior. And 48 khz is fine with me for voice use.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @nater, welcome to the Zoom Community!

I see that your discussion has not yet received a reply from the community so I wanted to check in 🙂
I am very happy that you were able to reach out to our support team and that they are currently working with you to resolve this issue. When you come to a resolution, please feel free to update us on this thread.

We can't wait to see how else you contribute to our growing Zoom Community!

Zoom Moderator 
CA

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thanks Carla, I definitely will update this thread with any resolution from the open ticket. Have a great weekend!

SamF
Listener

I am running into the exact same issue. I've only seen it with an external monitor as well. Similar laptop setup with an Apple Macbook Air with an M1 chip (last year's model).

I get a warning that my computer is running out of memory and it hangs within seconds, forcing me to reboot in the middle of a presentation.

nater
Listener

The issue for was resolved by changing a config setting for my usb microphone interface. My Focusrite Solo Gen 3 was set to sample at 192 khz. Changing it to 48 khz fixed the issue.

Best I can guess, 192 khz was too much for the zoom client to deal with. When it got overwhelmed, it was switching back to the onboard Mac microphone. When that happens, zoom apparently switches the camera to onboard Mac camera at same time.

With the laptop lid closed, it just crashed zoom altogether. With the lid open, my zoom window would change from my extended monitor to the laptop, and then back again.

Long story short, setting external audio interface to 48 khz eliminates that behavior. And 48 khz is fine with me for voice use.

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @nater,

Thank you for updating the thread with your resolution! @SamF Give it a go and let us know if that works for you. Thank you both for your contributions. 

Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?