cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Audio doesn't work with wired earbuds

jendanphil
Listener

I'm using a 2020 MacBook Air with Zoom. I have wired earbuds from Apple, and also 3rd party ones, that work fine with the computer when I'm on any other website with sound (Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, etc.) The audio works fine on Zoom when I join a meeting and join by computer audio, but when I plug in the earbuds to the computer port, there is no sound. I've tried 3 different pair of earbuds and I've googled this question for answers. I see other people have the same question but I have not found a resolution. One answer was to change the settings or preferences on Zoom but I don't see where to do that. 

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Bri
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @jendanphil ! I have attached a screenshot of where you can update your Audio preferences in Settings. Also, have you seen this article from our knowledge base? https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/7302459648397-Troubleshooting-audio-issues

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 3.03.49 PM.png

Bri
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

jendanphil
Listener

Hi Bri, none of this is helping me because when I sign in, and go to Settings, I get a different page than what you show. I don't have a paid Zoom account - is that why I can't get the headphones to work? This is what I see under settings: I dropped the file in below. I also tried the link above but that doesn't lead me to anything that I can do to fix this. Thanks for responding and please reply again so I can hopefully get this resolved.

Hi. When a zoom meeting is open you can click the arrow key next to the microphone to get the settings. Here, you should be able to select the  headphones and mic (headphones on your case) that you want. Hope it helps. 

@jendanphil if you're using Zoom on your Macbook, you click zoom.us at the top of your screen and then select Preferences > Audio. Let me know if that works for you! 

Bri
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Johnharper
Listener

1. Make Sure The Headphones Aren’t Muted This might sound obvious, but sometimes your headphones have a mute button for the microphone. 
2. Double-Check Your Bluetooth Connection 
3. Check Your Audio Input On Zoom 
4. If Your Headphones Are Wired, Check The USB Connection 
5. Check Your Speaker Output 
6. Make Sure There Aren’t Conflicting Programs Open 
7. Check Your Permissions

Regards,
J Wick