cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 / low system resources

Oneota
Listener

Since upgrading to Windows 11 (regular end-user track--nothing Insider), I've found a Zoom session (using the Zoom client) often eventually produces a "Low system resources may affect your audio quality. Try closing some applications to improve performance" Windows "overlay" error warning/message (attached). I'm using a decently powerful PC (obviously powerful enough for MSFT to say it's fine for Win11), 32G RAM, TB4 to 5K monitor, gigabit internet, 100mbps wifi, so I don't really think there's anything about my system which should so easily be actually overstressed. If I ignore the warning, my audio will start to stutter. If I close an application, the problem's better for a few minutes, then returns. It only happens "well into" a Zoom (at least a half-hour in). The Zoom session need not be anything special; today's was only five participants. I can't (or don't know how to) know that it's actually Win11-related, or even that it's Zoom-related, but it started immediately after I upgraded from Win10 to Win11, and it only happens when I Zoom (not when I Teams, Meet, jit.si, BlueJeans, Signal, WhatsApp, whatever). It might seem more likely to happen when at least one person's screenshared.

It's a bit reminiscent of the "low GDI handles" problem Windows had 15-20 yrs ago. It feels as if the Zoom session is somehow "cumulatively using up" my resources, which makes no sense to me.

Yes, I run lots of stuff on my PC--but nothing actually stressful for today's tech.

Anyone seen anything similar?

Better yet, anyone have any thoughts about how to prevent/mitigate/remediate?

12 REPLIES 12

itsagas2
Listener

I seen this message tonight on a ZOOM session also using Windows 11.  ""Low system resources may affect your audio quality".   Not seeing this when I used Windows 10 or when I use Linux Manjaro with a KDE desktop. 

Gintaras86
Listener

I am getting same issue. Tried to upgrade my drivers + upgraded my BIOS on Dell Latitude 7400. (core i7, 16GB ram). Windows 10 worked well on same setup. Looking forward for solution. 

AdamH1
Listener

Any solution found on this yet? I'm started having the same issue when I upgraded my laptop to Windows 11.

blr
Listener

I am having this issue. It often leads to the blue screen of death in Windows 11 and computer restarts. Any solutions?

itsagas2
Listener

My solution for now was to switch off Windows 11 and I went back to using Manjaro Linux.   I'm using the Cinnamon desktop Manjaro Linux,   I do have the Manjaro KDE desktop  installed also on another partition but Cinnamon is a little quicker and easier to navigate between apps I have open.  Anyways for me ZOOM on Linux Manjaro works great, no memory issues, no sound quality issues. I use Window.. I like Windows 11 ....., but I prefer to have smooth computing experience when I use ZOOM along with other apps in the background.   Not a solution for Windows but a solution for not having issues with using Windows.

Gintaras86
Listener

[Solution] Uninstall 32bit version of Zoom and install latest 64bit version of Zoom. It helped for me. 

where to download the 64 bit?

This may be a 64 bit ZOOM app but I noticed when ever I booted in Windows 11 it immediately wanted to create ZOOM rooms. Kinda annoying so I removed the app. 

msmoreno
Listener

I am getting the same warnings with Windows 11 on a Surface Book 2!

Kickyn
Listener

I am facing same problem and had tried may ways to avoid the problem except downgrade to win10.

Hope Zoom can fix the bug

itsagas2
Listener

Downloadable versions of ZOOM can be found here, this includes the 64 bit desktop version that works well with Windows 11.       https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207373866-Zoom-Installers