cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the Change for Chromebooks?

Qwertio33
Listener

I've been happily using the web interface on my Chromebook for quite some time. Now I see that it's not going to be supported anymore and I have to sue the app -- which has fewer features than I've been using.

Why are you cutting the features available for Chromebook users?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

I am not aware of a way to enforce that for Google Calendar specifically, but you might check out the Account-level setting Auto-launch PWA when joining a meeting on Chrome OS. That should force Zoom links to open the PWA instead of the ChromeOS app. 

View solution in original post

Bort

Access to that page is limited to admins and account owners. If you are on a free account, you would not have access to the account level settings, since there are no others on the account to manage. 

If you are still having issues with getting the PWA to auto-launch on your Chromebook, I would suggest making sure the old ChromeOS app is deleted. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Bort

Hi @Qwertio33 

Unfortunately, its not Zoom directly doing this. The Google team has decided to deprecate ChromeOS apps, meaning we are being forced to develop a replacement, which is the PWA. While it doesn't have ALL the same features as the old ChromeOS app, it does have many features the ChromeOS apps did not have and there are many more planned features and enhancements coming for the PWA. 

Is there a particular feature you are missing after starting to use the PWA? 

Nothing I have needed yet, thank you for your reply. I just noticed other folks talking about the things they were missing.

I haven't figured out how to make the PWA the default for Zoom links in Google calendar yet, though.

Bort

I am not aware of a way to enforce that for Google Calendar specifically, but you might check out the Account-level setting Auto-launch PWA when joining a meeting on Chrome OS. That should force Zoom links to open the PWA instead of the ChromeOS app. 

Thanks! Where is that setting located?

Bort

The Account Settings page, found under the Account Management section of the web portal. 

Thank you! Unfortunately when I click that I see "No permission". Do you have to have a particular kind of account? 

(No one else owns the account, but it's a free-level account)

Bort

Access to that page is limited to admins and account owners. If you are on a free account, you would not have access to the account level settings, since there are no others on the account to manage. 

If you are still having issues with getting the PWA to auto-launch on your Chromebook, I would suggest making sure the old ChromeOS app is deleted. 

I would lke to be able to click on a meeting link (e.g., in a mail message) and have it auto-launch the PWA and join the meeting.  Currently, I have to copy/paste the separate parts (meeting ID and so on) into the PWA.  I don't have the option to use "account management" and I have removed the old app from the Chromebook.