cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Zoom app listening on my microphone when not in a meeting?

aaronklein
Attendee

I'm running MacOS Monterey. Several times in the last few weeks, I've noticed the orange dot indicating the microphone is being used by an app, and I click on the Control Center and see that Zoom is accessing the microphone. I'm not in a meeting and simply have the Zoom app open. Why would Zoom be accessing the microphone when I'm not in a meeting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bitcoin_Shaman
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hey @aaronklein 

We experienced a bug relating to the Zoom client for macOS, which could show the orange indicator light continue to appear after having left a meeting, call, or webinar. This bug was addressed in the Zoom client for macOS version 5.9.3 and we recommend you update to version 5.9.3 to apply the fix. 

As always, we recommend users make sure their Zoom client is updated to the latest version. Users can also opt-in to Automatic Updates by selecting “Automatically keep Zoom desktop client up to date” in your Zoom client settings.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49

KennethP
Listener

Zoom 5.11.3 finally corrected this bug for me. (MacBook Pro M1 Pro. macOS Monterey 12.4)

redpinedigital
Listener

still happening. just updated zoom. MacOS monterey 12.0.1 and zoom 5.11.10

YaBoiB

@redpinedigital

MacOS Monterey is on 12.5.1 now. Please update to that release version. 

Thanks, 

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thanks 

gpetit
Listener

Running Zoom 5.12.2 and this is still happening. Zoom keeps using the microphone even after closing it.

BLah
Listener

It's still happening to me. MacOS 12.6 and Zoom 5.12.9. Killing core audio driver helped to get rid of the orange mic dot before, but now even that doesn't help. Fix your software please.

KennethP
Listener

I have experienced this issue in the past. Then, it seemed fixed. Then, it came back. For the past (maybe) two months, the issue has not occurred. The orange dot appears when I start a Zoom and disappears when I leave/end a Zoom. Seems to be, for me, resolved.

• Zoom 5.12.9 (13190)
  • macOS Monterey 12.6.1
  • MacBook Pro - Apple M1 Pro

I will be upgrading to macOS Ventura once 13.1 is released.

jc345678
Listener

ive seen this too after leaving meetings. Does this mean my audio was recorded as part of that meeting and would be heard on replay of recording? or just that the zoom app was recording to somewhere else? 

Rodrigorominaus
Listener

Hola 

JSI
Listener

This just started happening on two of my Macs after updating to Version: 5.17.11 (31580). Is this a new bug?