cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is our latest recording twice the normal size

NPN
Listener

My organization runs monthly 1-hour seminars. The typical size of the video+audio file is just over 500MB. The file for yesterday's seminar was 1.06G, which all by itself  puts us over the 1G limit.  (In other words, not including the audio only or chat files). Why is the video+audio file  suddenly so large?

1 REPLY 1

ozarknaturalfoo
Listener

I have the same question, except ours is even more extreme.  We've gone from files that were about half to 2/3rds of a GB to 3.75 GB (~2 hour recordings)!  I tried researching this, and found this article.  However, it leaves much unclear.  In regards to ways to control file size, it mentions removing these "since version 3.5," but this article makes it pretty clear these version numbers either don't refer to the Windows client (as v3.5 would've probably been pre 2019) or this hasn't been an issue for far longer than this particular issue (mentioned by the original poster) has been happening.  So what v3.5 are they talking about?  Are there version numbers referring to the cloud platform that are invisible to standard users?  

Anyway, the point is, I have hit a wall in researching this issue.  It seems that many of the tools previously available to reduce file size (like controlling the resolution at which the video is captured and saved) have been taken away in the name of "compatibility."  I feel like either Zoom needs to boost the allotment of space to account for the changes that have taken this control away from users, or they need to find a way to add some back.  Or I suppose some degree of clearly stated (italicized because it makes me nervous to consistently go over our account storage maximum, but so far we haven't run into a problem; will this come back to bite us?  I have no idea.) leniency needs to be granted to people who exceed their capacity.