cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Zoom disconnect my 1st PC when I use the 2nd ??

jeromec
Listener

Every time I launch Zoom on my MacBook Pro, if Zoom is opened on my Mac Studio, I get logged off Zoom on the Mac Studio.

I then have to re-enter the password (which is a strong password, because 2022).

Why TF does Zoom not let me use my 2 PCs (actually Macs)?

This is so stupid and annoying.

I could understand that I could only join a meeting from one PC at a time (so that the same account is not used by 50 people), but why log me off???

I presume I am not the only one with a desktop and a laptop.

Zoom is the ONLY app I know that is so annoying.

I am a paying customer and am highly annoyed by that.

(which adds to Zoom asking me very often to change password, and not working well with Apple's Keychain Access, making this a total mess).

Of course these disagreements happen when I want to join a meeting with my profile and what is attached to it, such as virtual backgrounds.

Zoom, please fix this. This is very annoying and makes Teams look user friendly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @jeromec,

Sorry you are annoyed by this Zoom policy:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360000787483-Can-I-use-Zoom-on-multiple-devices-

As you can see, Zoom does allow attending from multiple classes of devices simultaneously, one per class.

As a volunteer here in the Zoom Community, I don’t have any corporate insight as to why this policy is in effect, other than to say it seems like an effort to reduce what many might say is unnecessary additional bandwidth through Zoom servers to maintain quality service.

You might consider entering a feature request to ask for some sort of special switch that would allow multiple connections, but I doubt you’ll get Zoom to remove the restriction entirely:

https://www.zoom.us/feed 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @jeromec,

Sorry you are annoyed by this Zoom policy:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360000787483-Can-I-use-Zoom-on-multiple-devices-

As you can see, Zoom does allow attending from multiple classes of devices simultaneously, one per class.

As a volunteer here in the Zoom Community, I don’t have any corporate insight as to why this policy is in effect, other than to say it seems like an effort to reduce what many might say is unnecessary additional bandwidth through Zoom servers to maintain quality service.

You might consider entering a feature request to ask for some sort of special switch that would allow multiple connections, but I doubt you’ll get Zoom to remove the restriction entirely:

https://www.zoom.us/feed 

jeromec
Listener

I understand the policy. 
But why not just deactivate  the app on the 1st PC?

Or even quit the app on the 1st PC?

Forcing me to go get my strong password and re-enter it is both stupid and hostile. 

Ray_Harwood

Okay, I’ll agree it’s annoying – and you’re entitled to your opinion and choice of adjectives.  I’m a regular paying Zoom user like you, and don’t get any special privileges or access, and I use several logins for testing and Zoom event production work. 

It’s part of recent security protocols instituted by Zoom. My experience has been that once I’ve gone through this a few times with an account on a specific device, it “learns” that you’re a frequent login from that device, and eases up on the re-authorization requirement.

“Your mileage may vary. “ But hopefully you see similar changes. 

Actually it's been a few months where I did not understand why Zoom kept asking me to change my password and re-enter my credentials.

This is since about the time I got a 2nd PC.

I did not imagine Zoom would log me out of 1 PC if I logged on another. This is so hostile and brutal. No other app does that.

This is 2022 - Zoom always knows which devices are connected with my credentials.

There are many less violent and intrusive ways to make sure one paying account is not used by several people than logging me out when I go on the road or back home. Disabling Zoom on the 1st PC without forcing to re-enter credentials would be so much better.

Thanks for your help Ray. I am of course annoyed by Zoom, not you. Have a great day.