cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Zoom opens on someone else's laptop it thinks I'm me

DaveRado
Listener

I have set up a laptop for my mother's carers to use, partly so she can have Zoom calls with me.

I have set up a Zoom meeting on my own PC  and have saved the invite link in a Word document on the carer's laptop in the format: (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88497498501?pwd=whatever) .

Until recently this worked fine but recently,  Zoom refused to open on the carer's laptop unless it was upgraded to the latest version, and in order to upgrade it I had to log in to Zoom.

Even though I logged out again as soon as I'd upgraded Zoom, whenever the carer clicks on the Zoom link in order to open the meeting, her copy of Zoom thinks she is me - i.e both participants in the meeting have my name and she gets a confusing message asking if she wants to reclaim the host.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Zoom on the carer PC several times and that hasn't fixed it 

I DON'T WANT THE CARER TO HAVE TO LOG INTO ZOOM BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT TECHNICAL AND THEY CHANGE FREQUENTLY.

Before I upgraded Zoom it worked perfectly - it didn't think the carer laptop was me and it let the carer join the meeting without having to log in to Zoom

How can I make the copy of Zoom on the carer laptop forget that I once logged in to Zoom on it and behave as it used to behave?

Dave  

2 REPLIES 2

Jameswalter
Participant

If you have a standalone password with Zoom (if your account is not connected to organization, like with SSO) and if this event is still inexplicable, I would recommend changing your Zoom password at https://zoom.us/profile and then also click "Sign Me Out From All Devices" at that same page.

Greetings,
James

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Another possible solution would be to have the carer join a meeting manually and change the default name. Click the Join a meeting button, change the default name located there, and then enter the meeting ID and join the meeting. Successfully joining a meeting with the new name should set the default name to that, instead of your name.