cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I try to download zoom it says switch out of S mode or get similar apps in store

alextasiaclarke
Listener

Hi,

Whenever I try to open zoom up in a window or try to download it, a popup appears saying that I should switch out of S mode or get similar apps in store.... I'm not sure how to do this, or what it means. I have a HP windows laptop and am unsure how to resolve this. Could anyone please help?

Many thanks,

Alexandra

4 REPLIES 4

ChrisO
Note Taker

Windows "S" mode is a secure operating mode most home pcs are shipped with these days. It prevents installing apps that do not come from the Windows store. Here are some instructions from Microsoft on how to disable S mode. Keep in mind once you turn off S mode you can not turn it back on.

Please remember to mark responses as accepted if they resolve your issue.
***Sometimes success is only achieved through many failures!***

I really do not want to disable S mode.  So, is there any way to use Zoom in S mode?

You should still be able to attend meetings using the browser-based functionality. When trying to join a meeting simply click the "Join from Browser" option.

ChrisO_0-1657813249773.png

Please remember to mark responses as accepted if they resolve your issue.
***Sometimes success is only achieved through many failures!***

rjad
Listener

so how does one proceed within S-mode. After allowing permissions for microphone and/or video, I still receive a message saying my browser won't allow microphone access.  My understanding of Zoom Rooms is that the meeting host needs the Zoom Rooms. But, what if the participant is Zoom Rooms and the host is not?