cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wayland screen sharing broken with GNOME 41 on Fedora 35

intrlocutr
Participant

Hi,

I recently updated to Fedora 35 with GNOME 41. This GNOME release restricts the screenshot API which Zoom has used for screen sharing on Wayland, so the screen sharing functionality no longer works (see here on Ask Fedora).

I require screen sharing for school, and I'm sure many others have a similar requirement/system configuration. With Wayland increasingly becoming a de facto standard on Linux, it is crucial that Zoom support Wayland screen sharing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's not a bug in xdg-desktop-portal-wlr, so I'm not going to create a pull request to add code that does nothing (if the client is behaving correctly...). There's already work on supporting to share only a region of the screen (https://github.com/emersion/xdg-desktop-portal-wlr/pull/156) which should coincidentally also fix Zoom.

Simply running Zoom with "env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME /usr/bin/zoom" should be enough to make Zoom think it's on Gnome while still keeping dbus working.

Edit: This should not be marked as solution! If any, https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Wayland-screen-sharing-broken-with-GNOME-41-on-Fedora-35/m-p/... provides a workaround for the issue, which has to be fixed by Zoom!

View solution in original post

407 REPLIES 407

d0znpp
Listener

Dear @YaBoiB , please advise us when we have to wait till that "next" release you mentioned. It's 6 months after your post with no updates. 

You must not have been paying attention. This was just a few hours ago:

@YaBoiB wrote:

Engineering has informed me that the fix for this issue should be introduced in the 5.11.x version. I got this information last Thursday, but just got around to providing it to you all. My apologies for the delayed response. 

And there were other corrections and updates before this as well. No need to shoot the messenger

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi Team, 

I only have a release version at this time, and the date is TBD. As soon as I have more information I will be sure to make the team aware. Thank you all for your continued patience on this case. I know that it has been a long wait. I truly appreciate you all. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

YaBoiB

Hello @es-kyra

There is a ton of information on this thread. I understand someone not reading all of it. I do not want to go back and read all of it, but it is my job. I do not mind answering questions twice or even three times. I understand how important this is to all of you and I am happy to be of assistance in getting this issue solved for you all. 

Regards,

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

despdx
Attendee

Yes, I think this thread is far too old to be useful to newcomers.  I think those of us who have been monitoring it for a long time have learned a lot, though.  I'll try to quickly summarize.

• This thread is 6 months old, but the bug actually much older: Zoom never implemented Wayland/GNOME 40-compatible screen sharing.  Several good comments have been contributed by the community to this thread, at various points, documenting some of the history and showing the issue was known to all well in advance of ...
  • (Approximately) GNOME 41.  Around this time, promised Wayland security improvements were finally being enforced, which caused this known bug to become unavoidable. Zoom's screen sharing workaround finally stopped working, as promised, and no fix or new workaround had been developed.
  • Throughout this thread, several "workarounds" have been proposed.  One was to disable all Wayland/GNOME window security.  Another was to not use Wayland at all and go back to Xorg/X11. Some users contributed the idea of using OSB Studio to create a video stream of the desktop which Zoom can access as if it was a regular camera device.  I personally found none of these to be acceptable, but some did.  I ended up isolating Zoom in a VM, so these workaround options could be enabled without affecting my "real" desktop.
  • Since this thread started, the web-based Zoom client on Firefox w/ Wayland has improved and become more feature-rich. Now, it allows full desktop or single window sharing without the native Linux Zoom client; something that wasn't possible when this thread was started, IIRC.  However, the web-based client still lacks other features that the native client offers, so this is not an acceptable workaround, either (although I haven't tested the one particular feature I'm thinking of in about two months).
  • A fix for this long standing bug has been promised in Zoom version 5.11, although no promises have been made for the release date of that version.  I, for one, am checking here, regularly: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205759689-Release-notes-for-Linux

I have one more update to add: Just now, I (fully and carefully) tested 5.10.4 (2845) via flatpak--which has received at least two, un-versioned updates since a delayed release a week or so ago.  I was able to share both the whole desktop and single windows, and, furthermore, other meeting participants could see the contents of these screen shares.  So, AFAICT, 5.10.4 on GNOME 42 w/ Wayland *works*.  I do not know, but I highly doubt, that this is the *proper* fix.  (I tested this on Fedora 36, which just released a couple days ago, and is how I got GNOME 42.) (Update: Sorry, I tested Xorg, thinking I was testing GNOME 42. Still broken.)

I find that  5.10.4 (2845) rpm still does not work under Wayland for screen sharing under Fedora 35 Gnome 41.6

Do you mean the flatpak from flathub?  I tried to download that and run it but experienced some problems. 

Looking around I saw that adding options to the command line enables it to start under wayland, people may find this useful if like me they are not familiar with flatpak:

flatpak run --env=QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland --socket=wayland us.zoom.Zoom

But I found this does not work any better (maybe it needs different options?)

Incidentally, the version of the flatpak zoom  is higher at 5.10.6 (2943).   That is strange since that version doesn't appear to be available at zoom's own site as of yet.

I am not sure I  got the version you have, because it does not have any options to share the entire desktop or specific single windows.   As before, it still only has the option to share a portion of the screen outlined by a green frame that it puts up.    Did you mean to say it offered such options? 

OMG, I tested in Xorg; I forgot to switch back to GNOME on login.  I don't get any screen sharing options under GNOME 42.  I guess I wasn't as careful as I thought.  Trying to do things quickly.  Wow, sorry yet again.

Yes, AFAIK, the only Zoom on flatpak is on flathub.  It is not official, FYI. However, I should say that I don't have any problems running Zoom via flatpak.  It runs fine without any Wayland options.  In fact, Zoom used to crash when I set Wayland options in the environment, and I reported that to Zoom.  So, I don't recommend doing that.

@despdx wrote:

I, for one, am checking here, regularly: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205759689-Release-notes-for-Linux

Looks like there's a new version coming up on the 23rd, but still no fix for us listed:

Resolved Issues

• Minor bug fixes
  • Security enhancements
  • Resolved an issue for a subset of user regarding calendar syncing with on-prem Exchange 
  • Resolved an issue regarding an E2EE warning when calling a PSTN line 
  • Resolved an issue for a subset of users regarding the auto-selection of video capture modes 
  • Resolved an issue regarding company contacts disappearing 
  • Resolved an issue regarding imported contacts disappearing after SMS attempt 
  • Resolved an issue regarding whiteboard sessions allowing views of the desktop 
  • Resolved an issue regarding mono audio 
  • Resolved an issue for a subset of users regarding the meeting reminder notification

zoomuser101055
Listener

Any update on this issue? Ubuntu 22.04 is out with wayland default display server. Please provide a fix. Thanks

There's a novel's worth of information in this thread, but suffice it to say--it's being worked on.

YaBoiB

Hey Team, 

I do not have a target date for 5.11.0 yet, but I am working on it. My gut tells me mid-June but as soon as I have a target date, I will share that information with the team. 

Thanks again, 

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

julez
Listener

Hi,

since this is not addressed by Zoom I wrote a small Gnome Extension so you can share your screen while using Gnome and Wayland.

See https://github.com/julianpollmann/zoom-wayland-gnome-extension

Technically, if I understood what your extension does, you're addressing it exactly like Zoom is currently telling people to do it, which compromises the system security. I'm glad you at least make mention of it in your github page, that's more than what Zoom has done when pushing this particular solution.

JHBoricua
Listener

I don't know about you folks, but after following this thread shortly since its inception, I simply don't find any of these 'updates' to be credible. Given the history on this issue, it clearly is a very low priority item for Zoom's Management that will keep getting pushed in face of new feature development. More evidently so when you see silly issues with very low usability impact being fixed release after release. My favorite for the upcoming release is 'Resolved an issue with font color when using dark mode'. Yeah, let's fix that but keep our Linux client crippled.

Meanwhile in this thread we've gone from soon, to 5.10.6 or 5.11.0 or 5.11.x, which might as well be 5.11.infinity. And still no target date.

Have any of you that are paid customers received an official reply from Zoom support  or your sales rep. regarding the state of Wayland support, other than the ill advised 'fix' that has been mentioned in previous responses? Anything that would corroborate what has been relayed in this thread by @YaBoiB ?

lemme summarize this: 

"expect the worst, and you won't be disappointed"

YaBoiB

@JHBoricua

It is 5.11.0, according to the developers. This team of developers does not work on font color. Trust me, this is true. I have not attempted to be vague or deceiving since I joined this thread. I am chatting directly with this team of developers on all of your behalf. I do not "have" to do this! I can check in with them once a month and see how things are going. I have been doing this for the people in this thread. As I have stated countless times in this thread. As soon as I have information, I will pass that information along to the team. 

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

This is a failure of management, not you.

Considering how many here are directly, or indirectly via an organisation, paying customers - we shouldn't ‘have’ to do this either…

Nevertheless I don't think anyone has a ‘problem’ with you and many of us a grateful for what you've been able to get done — it just really isn't great that your all we've got, and that there are seemingly no ‘official’ statements even after all this time.

YaBoiB

Hello All, 

Tentative release date is June 20th for version 5.11.0. Please note that this is a tentative release target date. We hope to make this date but it can be moved. 

Thanks all. 

Regards,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

idkman
Attendee

The more disgusting part is that today when trying to join a meeting zoom crashed 13/13 times on wayland and worked first try on xorg. (this was on kde plasma) Litterally disgusting zoom.

YaBoiB

Hello All, 

I just wanted to point out that we have created a support article to keep everyone updated on any changes or any future fixes. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/6634039380877

I hope this helps with tracking. 

Reminder that you can subscribe to release notes if you were not aware. Have a great day everyone. Thank you all for your continued efforts on this issue. 

Regards,

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

The article seems to imply that you currently CAN share your entire desktop in Wayland using the zoom client. This is not true, the only option I'm presented in stock Fedora 35/36 with Wayland is the whiteboard. I wish I could at least share my desktop.

Are other distributions able to share their entire desktop in Wayland without any hack/insecure workarounds?

No u can't share ur screen on any up to date distro (on Wayland)

As noted already by @JHBoricua  -- but more strongly, this "support" article is simply false. You cannot share any part of your screen with the current Zoom client under Wayland -- not the entire screen, not a clipped part of the screen, not an application. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. (As previously noted, all that is shared, in the best case, is the background of your screen, but nothing else.)

The suggested workarounds, however, do work. Neither involves screen sharing with the Zoom client.

@YaBoiB wrote:

I just wanted to point out that we have created a support article to keep everyone updated on any changes or any future fixes. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/6634039380877

The article still says, "The screen sharing options in Wayland GNOME are currently limited. To share just a specific application…" which implies that sharing the entire screen works at all, and that's completely false.

Is there any reason why the article hasn't been corrected, or is it misleading customers on purpose?

Hi Brandon,

First, thanks for braving the chat here, it can’t be easy to stand there with people getting frustrated about a thing you can’t affect.

Can you shed some light about why that support article mentions the GNOME desktop? The easiest way to get this to work is by using the desktop independent APIs they’re supposed to use instead of GNOME specific ones like they did in the past.

I’d expect the article to be simply titled “Sharing your screen on Wayland” or “Sharing your screen on Wayland Linux desktops”

Best, Phil

To clarify when gnome joined the wayland train, ubuntu maintained a backwards compatibility temporarily which meant that zoom devs relied on that instead of upgrading to the wayland standard of screen sharing. The problem came from them using desktop specific ones, not, by using the generic wayland approved way of interacting with the desktop.

Just wanted to clarify again that screen sharing has been working in a much nicer more generic way outside of zoom for a long time. This all came about because of zoom relying on a temporary work around that wasn't even meant for them but really for the ubuntu devs.

frankburke007
Listener

Hey,

TL;DR: Enable Wayland in the GDM configurations in /etc/gdm/custom. conf Open /etc/gdm/custom. conf for editing (as you know, you must be root). Go to the line which looks like the following: [daemon] WaylandEnable=false Change it to (even if the line was commented): [daemon] WaylandEnable=true Save the file and exit.

Thanks

johnfparis
Attendee

In reply to @frankburke007

So far as I can tell this has nothing to do with the topic.

This topic is to discuss situations where Wayland is already enabled, so your suggested edit has no effect at all.

DenisZ
Listener

At least with version 5.9.3 is still working.

Has anyone tried 5.9.4 or 5.9.5.?

Btw does anyone know last 4 digits of version numbers 5.9.4.xxxx?

I've tested 5.9.6 and it has only whiteboard. 

screenshare doesn't work on any version right now, so that is 101% chance a fluke. (whiteboard should still work fine)

YaBoiB

Hello, 

I am waiting for confirmation but 5.11.0 is targeted for the June 20th release. This will appear in the Linux Release notes soon. Thanks, everyone for your patience and understanding. 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hey @idkman , sorry you are right, I had it running, and was sure it was showing share application window, but then was playing with other versions 5.9.6, 5.10.6,... and coming back to 5.9.3 it didn't show any more, just whiteboard, and neither any earlier versions that I still had 5.8.

YaBoiB

@DenisZ , 

All of the release notes show the last four (extension). You can reference them here https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205759689

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

patdunlavey
Listener

June 15 and STILL WAITING for this fix.

yes I know its bad, but wait 5 days, he legit said they target to release it on june 20th. So wait for 5 days...

Although rather concerning to see this major feature of supporting wayland screen sharing doesn't get a mention for the upcoming release https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205759689-Release-notes-for-Linux

Yeah, is it even in the release?

I'd be surprised if it doesn't get a mention but this does:

> When variations of “Happy Anniversary” are used in Zoom Chat, a celebration of raining Tada emojis 🎉 will rain down in the chat window.

Either way, Zoom's priorities seem very skewed.

YaBoiB

@liamg

It may not have made the release notes but I show that the code is being merged so as for right now we are still on track for the 20th. I will let you know if I hear of any changes on my end. 

Regards,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Brandon, they don't deserve you. If they don't get this in the current release you need to get a nicer job in PR. These devs have been putting you through the ringer trying to support the community on this release.