cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Causing Zoom to Crash on v5.11.3

ffard_lbl
Listener

I just updated from v5.11.1 to v5.11.3 this morning. Any time I would turn on my camera during the meeting, Zoom would report that it has crashed and wanted to send a crash report. After three times, the video would freeze.

This would occur both on Windows and Mac OS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ffard_lbl
Listener

Zoom released v5.11.4 this morning that addresses this bug. According to their release notes, there was a bug with virtual backgrounds and AMD processors (see attached screenshot). 

I have downloaded this version and verified that the bug is fixed. Thank you Zoom team for resolving this bug in a timely manner. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @ffard_lbl couple of questions for you:  Is your camera a USB camera or an internal camera? Have you attempted to update the drivers of your camera (windows) or update your operating system? 

I've got Zoom 5.11.3 installed with macOS Monterey 12.4 and am not experiencing video freezing or crashing of the client.  Suggest looking into our KB on Troubleshooting Zoom video crashes

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 3.24.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 3.25.02 PM.png

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

ffard_lbl
Listener

Hi @RN ,

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm seeing this issue with my USB Camera (my machine doesn't have a built-in camera). My Windows machine is up to date. I even rebooted my machine to no success.

Windows Build Info:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎10/‎10/‎2021
OS build 22000.795
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.795.0

I'll check my Mac OS machine later today.

JimmyWick
Attendee

I found this answer.

Restart your computer. If Zoom still crashes or is not responding after a restart, check if the camera works in a Mac app, such as Photo Booth or Facetime. If it works elsewhere, uninstall the Zoom client and reinstall the latest version from our Download Center.

Check if this works,
Regards,
J Wick

dbpar
Listener

Similar to OP: Windows up-to-date, camera drivers up-to-date (Logitech C270, works fine in Logitech app), Zoom updated to v5.11.3 yesterday and would show a crash prompt every time video was started (video frozen, but all else would remain usable; could even shut off video).

Tried: rebooting Windows, uninstalling Zoom (purged all lingering Zoom folders) and rebooted again, reinstalled with installer from Zoom's Download Center, same result.

Narrowed it down to: Video seems to work just fine until I try to use a virtual background. 100% of the time if I enable a virtual background, it happens. If I don't use a virtual background, video works just fine.

mmsysadmin
Listener

Similar to OP: Windows up-to-date (Logitech Streamcam), Zoom updated to 5.11.3 & Virtual backgrounds will cause a "Zoom crashed send feedback" prompt. Using the Logitech StreamCam. It appears the video crashes when the background needs to "phase" in an out. I was able to work-around the issue by removing 5.11.3 and installing 5.11.1 for the time being.

Stefan_HH
Listener

Same problem with 5.1.1.3 here. Windows 10 and drivers up to date. Crash (camera freeze) when choosing a background. And screen sharing does´t work. No screen is presented to meeting participants.

ffard_lbl
Listener

Based on @dbpar and @mmsysadmin replies, I did the same and reverted to v5.11.1 on Windows as a temporary solution.

GudZOOMer1
Listener

Amazed that ZOOM's own tech support doesn't know that the only fix for the video crashing when activating virtual backgrounds is to revert back to an earlier version that they haven't broken!  Come on ZOOM!  for some of us this is our livelihood and we look pretty bad when ZOOM stops working and we can't connect to our own meetings.  And you look very bad when you can't even provide solutions.

ffard_lbl
Listener

Zoom released v5.11.4 this morning that addresses this bug. According to their release notes, there was a bug with virtual backgrounds and AMD processors (see attached screenshot). 

I have downloaded this version and verified that the bug is fixed. Thank you Zoom team for resolving this bug in a timely manner. 

Gilly
Listener

Similar to OP: Windows up-to-date (AverMedia Cam), Zoom updated to Version 5.11.10 (8200) (64-bit). Using my camera in NVIDIA  Broadcast mode causes Zoom to crash when I go to the Zoom Video Settings. I cannot get Zoom to recover from the crash; even after a reboot Zoom remains crashed/frozen if I open it. 

There is no error message, once the crash happens, no part of Zoom is functional.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @Gilly can you share what the Video input option is within Zoom using NVIDIA broadcast mode? I haven't came across this issue before, however, it looks like its happened recently in this reddit feed ~2 yrs ago, "NVIDIA Broadcast causes Zoom to not respond and crash"

Someone suggested to use the 32bit version of Zoom, however, I am not seeing any further information or past tickets that are similar to your issue with Zoom and NVIDIA broadcast mode. I'll do some more digging and update you if I find other potential solutions! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

I can't get to the Zoom > Settings> Video panel b/c Zoom freezes as soon as I try to get there. I have uninstalled /re-installed Zoom and it still freezes.  So I can't post a screen cap. 

From what I remember, there is a dropdown listing each of my camera options; Avermedia, NVIDIA Broadcast, and two other options. When I selected NVIDIA Zoom goes into it's death spiral. 

I am running an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti graphics card and the reddit thread indicates the problem seem to be common to the RTX cards. 

Gilly
Listener

Similar to OP: Windows up-to-date (AverMedia Cam), Zoom updated to Version 5.11.10 (8200) (64-bit). Using my camera in NVIDIA  Broadcast mode causes Zoom to crash when I go to the Zoom Video Settings. I cannot get Zoom to recover from the crash; even after a reboot Zoom remains crashed/frozen if I open it. 

There is no error message, once the crash happens, no part of Zoom is functional.