cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using two devices simultaneously - second as drawing surface

NemanMTX
Attendee

Hi. In a similar vein to https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Using-two-devices-tablet-and-computer-laptop/m-p/33379, I am struggling to find a way to effectively host/present in a meeting with two devices where the second (tablet/phone) contains shared content that I want to annotate.

Umm... what?

I often present PowerPoint slides. I'd like to annotate those slides or whatever I'm sharing using a stylus. My laptop has a touch screen but it's incredibly impractical to effectively annotate by sticking my arm out in front of me and fingerpainting like a kindergarten kid while the world looks at my giant fingers on-camera. All of that is bad, and I never share my laptop (primary) screen anyway. I want to use a stylus to annotate content shared to a secondary monitor. You know, like a grown-up.

Our team's technical training classes can last for weeks and annotations are precise and extensive. Sharing the laptop monitor and reaching to it to annotate (giving it the finger?) is simply not an option. We need a way to share an external device that contains/shares the PowerPoint (or other) content on which we can use a stylus. (I have no idea if this makes sense. Easy to envision, hard to write. Sorry.)

At a recent meeting hosted on Teams, a host did some magic and shared his tablet which he used, writing-pad-style, to do his presentation. He still appeared as one attendee, the tablet "belonged" to his single login, and he was able to draw in OneNote incredibly effectively. I was floored (and jealous) as this is something I've been seeking to do in Zoom for a long time.

Here's the workflow I'm imagining:

1. Start meeting from my computer.
  2. Join meeting from my Android phone/tablet and not be forced to switch presence to it. (I don't want to walk away from my desk. I want to join from two different devices at once. No audio or video from the phone/tablet - just the ability to share content.)
  3. Activate a Share option, either
    1. On the computer Share > External Device Screen
    2. On the phone/tablet Share > Screen
  4. The audience sees my attendee/host presence only from the laptop (camera, microphone) and content from the external device. They never need to know I'm sharing an external device.
  5. I run my PPT/Rick roll/whatever from the external device and annotate away with my stylus.
  6. When done, stop sharing from the external device; my attendee/host presence never changes in the main meeting. It just looks like I've stopped sharing.
  7. Roll credits as we all laugh at the camera.
6 REPLIES 6

kdjomurphy
Listener

What's the answer to this??  

NemanMTX
Attendee

The answer appears to be switching to Teams.

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer

Hi,

I am able to do this with Powerpoint on my IOS device while tethered to my laptop.

I used the wired method described in the support document.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201379235-Sharing-your-iOS-screen-from-the-Zoom-desktop-cl... 

 Using my mouse and Zoom's annotation tool

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 10.01.00 AM.png

Using my IOS device and my finger on my iOS  screen (I don't have a Pencil stylus near by)

IMG_7737.PNG

It seems like you should be able to do something similar

To share your entire screen, including any application on your Android device:

1. Tap Share 

in the meeting controls.
  2. Tap Screen.
    The Android system will display a notification informing you of what the screen share will have access to.
  3. Tap Start Now to confirm.
    The screen share will start and Zoom will continue to run in the background. You can now choose the app that you would like to share.
  4. At the bottom of your screen, tap Annotate to open the annotation tools or tap Stop Share to stop sharing and go back to meeting controls.

Source:  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362153-Sharing-your-screen-content-or-second-camera#:~:... 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

NemanMTX
Attendee

Hi @Frank_TB. As far as I can tell, that might be iOS only. I haven't looked extensively but was not able to find an Android equivalent. I will be very happy to be wrong. 🙂

Frank_TB

Hi,

You are probably correct. I have seen people log in from two devices as long as they are not the same kind of device. A tablet and a PC would be acceptable.

So, NemanMTX (PC) and NemanMTX (Tablet) would be acceptable from a Zoom perspective. 

If you have an Android annotation app you could just switch presenters when it's time to annotate things. It would require some testing, but I don't have any Android devices.

Regards

NemanMTX
Attendee

Thanks. My experience has been if I join from a second device on the same account, I must switch to the other device. I could join from a second account on the other device, but that has its own complications. Part of what I'm looking for is elegance, sharing multiple forms of content, etc. which is much harder to do when you're constantly switching sharing between different users.