cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using host key with a waiting room

bobbyfraz
Listener

I work for a non-profit and we hold various meetings each month. These are hosted by a whole range of different people who either work for us or are members of the non-profit. It has become quite a clunky process to have so many people have a login to our Zoom account.

During our conference last year, I created approx 20 different licenced Zoom accounts as we had multiple sessions running concurrently and we used host keys instead of a login. This was a much easier process although it seemed that we had to have the waiting room turned off for this feature.

Is there any way to have a host key enabled but to still have a waiting room? Some of our meetings are highly sensitive so we still need this security of a waiting room. Might be important to note that we use the Personal Meeting ID as opposed to scheduling individual meetings.

4 REPLIES 4

Alex_PFT
Participant | Zoom Partner

Hi,

You need to be in the meeting to claim host with the host key, so no it wont work with the waiting room.

Alex

zoom@pft

jdwebsolutions
Listener

bobbyfraz,

Our non-profit has the same use case, and I'd like to share some of our workarounds:

(1) Once someone joins the meeting and inputs the Host key and becomes the Host, that person can then click on the SECURITY button to then enable the Waiting Room at that point.

(2) You can enable password-protected meetings along with enabling the Waiting Room. In this scenario, you can send out a special link (that will include the password in the link) and only people who have that link can auto-join the meeting and bypass the waiting room. Anyone trying to join outside of that link will be put into the Waiting Room.

There may be other creative ways, but those are the two we use successfully! I share this in case there is anyone else out there having this use case.

Now a Word to Zoom Tech Support or Chat Moderators: Please pass along an enhancement request for Zoom's consideration: to allow people to enter a Host Key from the Waiting Room. That small tweak would be a HUGE help for so many groups.

how do I make your suggestion #2 work, please?  I do not see where i can do that...

Alex_PFT

When you create a meeting, you can choose what type of security.