cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User on Zoom PRO Designating an alternative host on Zoom BASIC

class1582
Listener

Hi,
Meeting on Zoom BASIC can last 40 minutes only.
I am on Zoom PRO - no limit on duration .

I need to designate tutors to host meeting for 1 hour. They are on on Zoom BASIC.

Can I designate a tutor to act as a host using their basic account, and would it enable them to host a meeting longer than 40 minutes?

If not, please suggest an alternative way, please? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Sorry, @class1582, but meetings created by Basic users are limited to 40 minutes.

You creating meetings and assigning them as Alternative Hosts won't work, as an Alternate Host must be a licensed (paid) account.

There is only one approach to doing this (other than paying for a licensed account), called "Host Key".  Information for the Host Key process is described here.  Please carefully note the limitations of this approach.  Specifically, if you schedule multiple meetings at the same time, this will not work, as you can only have one meeting from your account active at any one time.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Ohkawa

Hi, @class1582 

Basic users cannot be designated as alternative host because the conditions for designating alternative host is as follows.

Prerequisites for designating an alternative host

• Zoom desktop client for Windows, macOS, or Linux: Global minimum version or higher
  • Zoom mobile app for Android or iOS: Global minimum version or higher
  • Both users need to be Licensed and on the same account
  • For webinar, the user who schedules the meeting needs both a license and the webinar add-on; the alternative host only needs to be Licensed
  • Alternative hosts must be signed in to Zoom with the correct account in order to be granted the host or co-host permissions

Designating an alternative host – Zoom Support

If you start a meeting with a paid account and hand over hosting privileges to a Basic user, he/she can have a meeting that exceeds 40 minutes.

Thank you, but can I hand over hosting privileges to a Basic userbefore the meeting starts?

If not, can I add the user to my account?

class1582
Listener

Hi, I've hust read the following on "Designating an alternative host - Zoom Support"

When scheduling a meeting, the host can designate another Licensed user on the same account to be the alternative host. The alternative host can start the meeting on the host's behalf. This user will receive an email notifying them that they've been added as an alternative host, with a link to start the meeting. If this email notification is disabled in the Zoom web portal, the alternative host will not receive an email to start the meeting.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208220166-Designating-an-alternative-host

1.  I understand that one can add another user to the same PRO account.
Is that correct?

2.  Can one remove them from the account after a placement has ended?

Please advise!

Ray_Harwood

Sorry, @class1582, but meetings created by Basic users are limited to 40 minutes.

You creating meetings and assigning them as Alternative Hosts won't work, as an Alternate Host must be a licensed (paid) account.

There is only one approach to doing this (other than paying for a licensed account), called "Host Key".  Information for the Host Key process is described here.  Please carefully note the limitations of this approach.  Specifically, if you schedule multiple meetings at the same time, this will not work, as you can only have one meeting from your account active at any one time.

So if a person who is a pro user and they invite me, a basic user, to a meeting will I be able to stay in their meeting for longer than 40 minutes?? I was offered an interview on this site but I never use zoom so dont want to pay for an upgrade for one meeting! Since the pro user (the business who invited me for an interview) is hosting the meeting and we have a date/time set up for it, will I be kicked out of their meeting after 40 minutes is up??

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @lms01 

If the meeting is scheduled by someone with a Pro account, the meeting can be up to 30 hours long for all participants.

Ok, so I wont worry about upgrading just for this first and only meeting. I just dont want to be kicked out of an interview because I only have a basic account. I cant afford to upgrade at this, especially for something I wont even be using but once a twice this year and thats to join someone elses meetings. Thank you, I appreciate your help because thats something that is hard to get on this site!

Would you happen to know where I can find the video tab to check and make sure my cam is working properly? It doesnt show in my settings area.

class1582
Listener
Thank you, Ray_Harwood, for you reply. I will study the information on "Host Key".

To be hones, and as a complete novice trying to learn Zoom for my particular needs, I find the information provided on Zoom Support somewhat confusing and contradictory.

For example:  on this page  https://zoom.us/pricing

What is a Licensed user and what is a Participant?
A licensed user has either a free or paid meeting license and can schedule meetings with participants based on the capacity their plan allows. A Participant is an invitee in a meeting scheduled by someone with a meeting license. A Participant does not require a Zoom account nor license in order to join a meeting and can join for free. Participants can join a meeting from their phone, desktop, mobile and tablet devices.

Please note the "licensed user has either a free or paid meeting license ..".

Then on another page:
A Licensed user is a paid account user who can host unlimited meetings.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201363173-Zoom-user-types-roles

Perhaps it is better if I start another post listing exactly my situation and what I need, and request advice as to the best plan available on Zoom.

Best regards!

Ray_Harwood

I agree that "consistent and well-defined terminology" is not Zoom's strong point.  (As a volunteer on the Zoom Community, I can express my honest opinion too!)  But most of it is pretty good, though much like a foreign language at first.

You buy licenses -- so a Licensed user is someone with a paid account.  A Basic user (sometimes called a Free Account) is not licensed.  (I'm working with Zoom staff to clear up the confusion in the Pricing FAQs you cited.)

Once you have a "collection of accounts", you have what I refer to as an "Organizational Account", which can be Pro (up to 9 licensed users), Business (10 licensed users or more), Enterprise (typically a large contract negotiated with Zoom Sales), and then there are industry-specific organizations such as Educational, Healthcare, and others.

I find the chart on the pricing page that compares capabilities is a good thing to look at, but you're really more constrained by your organization size.  If you really want the benefits of the Business Account but you only have 4-5 licensed users, you generally have to ramp up to 10 users to get to the Business level, which then costs a third more than the Pro level.  (I've heard of smaller groups requesting to be treated as Business accounts, but that's the exception, not the rule.)

I'm happy to answer your basic terminology questions here!

Hi Ray_Harwood,

Thank you so much for your reply and for the offer to help.

Just a little note: On this page: https://zoom.us/pricing

The BASIC section: It states "Unlimited meetings for up to 40 minutes".
The PRO section: There is no mention of the number nor duration of meetings!

I have posted a new message in the hope to decide the right plan:

https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Do-I-need-several-licences-and-a-little-bit-more/m-p/85741#M4...

I wonder if you would kindly have a look at it, if at all possible.

Kind regards!

Ray_Harwood

Pro accounts can also have unlimited meetings, with a time limit for each meeting of 30 hours.

I love Zoom... but I can't imagine being in a Zoom meeting for 30 hours!

I have responded to your other post as well.

Many thanks!