cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading via "check for updates" vs "download page": any difference?

WWLL-Zoom-Admin
Listener

In the support article "Upgrading Zoom to the latest version" (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362233-Upgrading-Zoom-to-the-latest-version), Zoom lists two options for upgrading to the latest version on a desktop client.  One is to "Check for Upgrades" from within the client, the other is to download from the download center: https://zoom.us/download

My question: is there any difference between these two methods?  Is there any scenario where one will work more simply and reliably than the other?

BACKGROUND:

I support a "lifetime learning" organization.  We provide classes (via Zoom since the pandemic started) for 200+ senior citizens.  Many of these users are computer-phobic, with systems set up for them by others (who may or may not be available to help with upgrades).  (Actual question from one of these seniors: "What is copy-and-paste?")  They use a variety of devices: Windows and Apple desk/laptops, iPhone, iPad, Android, Chromebook.  What many of them know about Zoom is that if they click on a link sent by someone else, magic happens and they are in a meeting.  Period.

I am trying to write some instructions to guide these users through the upcoming mandatory  upgrade on November 1.  These instructions need to be drop-dead simple and totally bulletproof.  Also, I do not want to wait for a "prompted upgrade" to happen on November 1 because that is a class day for us and there will be zero time to deal with any glitches. 

We've run some tests, and had problems with both "prompted upgrade" and "download center".  With "download center" a Windows user was asked a question about 32 bit/64 bit/ARM client.  Needless to say, he had no idea which was correct.  He tried 32 bit, then got a question about "download automatically next time you join a meeting or manually" with no indication (that he saw) of how to download manually.  Another user was prompted to upgrade a few weeks ago, accepted "upgrade", something went wrong (who knows what), and he was left with no Zoom at all.  But then other users have had both types of upgrade go "like butter", with no confusing questions about 32/64/ARM, and no question about now or later.  Color me confused.

Lastly, I have a preference for the "download center" approach, because the "check for updates" approach assumes that you sign in to your Zoom account via the client app, and the majority of my users have no Zoom account.

HENCE THE QUESTION: is there a difference between the "check for upgrades" method and the "download center" method?  Which would be better for my users?

3 REPLIES 3

Nafi
Community Champion | Zoom Partner
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

Hi @WWLL-Zoom-Admin 

Just want share my 2 cents, in my opinion i believe there are no different for this, but i also believe on every software i used including the operating system when it comes to major update i prefer doing fresh install to make sure there is no leftover the old version.

Hope it helps! please like and mark this as solution so whenever someone has the same question this content will help.

I am Zoom Enthusiast (Part of PT. Kayreach System, Indonesia Authorized Reseller, Certified Zoom Room, Zoom Phone, and Pro AV Integrator)

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @WWLL-Zoom-Admin 

There is no difference between those update options. Both will download the latest version and install it on the device. There should be no issue with using the Check for Updates method, but as you said that often requires a user to be signed-in to their account (except for Windows, which does allow you to check for updates by right-clicking the icon on the taskbar). For ease of use, you can suggest they go to https://zoom.us/support/download, which immediately starts their appropriate download, without the extra step of choosing which download you want. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

It appears that the Desktop client (on Windows 10) NO LONGER has a "Check for Updates" option. This happened about 2 - 3 updates ago (Current Version: 5.12.0 (8964)).  This makes it very hard to keep the desktop version updated and with Zoom's latest policy regarding keeping the software updated it is very important.